You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating a Shortcut on a Mac Desktop

Hi everyone. I'm sure this has a very simple answer, but me being a newbie to using a

Mac computer, I need some help. I've set up a server for my home network with a

Static IP of 192.168.2.10 .

It was simple to create shortcuts for my computer and my sister's, because I've used

Microsoft since it was DOS, and my sister's is Windows XP. I simply created a shortcut

and then typed in the network address, it being "\\192.168.2.10\Music" in Windows.

But my mom has a Mac, and I need to create an alias (I think it's called) that would lead

to the server from it. I've searched all through the internet, and all I can find is something

to the effect of this:

1. Launch your Finder and look for the program that you want to create the alias for.
2. Highlight this file and select "Make Alias".
3. Drag the Alias to the desktop.

My problem is that there is not an icon displayed that links to the server.

Is there some kind of Properties box where I can manually enter the network path?

Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 1:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 2:19 AM

Hi,

First off, putting stuff (links/aliases, files, folders) on a Mac Desktop is not good practice, because it leads to some extra work on the CPU, since the Desktop is a folder like others, OS X will index all its content every time your Mom starts her Mac.

This said, the best way to make an alias easy to use is to place it in the Dock via drag-n-drop, not on the Desktop. If placed in the Dock, your alias will always be within reach. All you have to do is locate the server folder you want to share in the Finder, and drag it to rightmost part of the Dock, where there are already some folders such as Applications, Documents, Downloads, etc...

Alternately, you can also create a new Shared item in the left pane of your main Finder window. In the Finder preferences, you can also choose to show all connected servers on the Desktop, which can come in handy too.

You may have to restart the Finder (or reboot the Mac, or just log out and back in) for the latter to take effect.

Oh, I almost forgot: you can also copy and paste the folder in question in the Desktop folder (left pane in the Finder main window), and it'll appear on the Desktop itself.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 26, 2013 2:19 AM in response to moguy78

Hi,

First off, putting stuff (links/aliases, files, folders) on a Mac Desktop is not good practice, because it leads to some extra work on the CPU, since the Desktop is a folder like others, OS X will index all its content every time your Mom starts her Mac.

This said, the best way to make an alias easy to use is to place it in the Dock via drag-n-drop, not on the Desktop. If placed in the Dock, your alias will always be within reach. All you have to do is locate the server folder you want to share in the Finder, and drag it to rightmost part of the Dock, where there are already some folders such as Applications, Documents, Downloads, etc...

Alternately, you can also create a new Shared item in the left pane of your main Finder window. In the Finder preferences, you can also choose to show all connected servers on the Desktop, which can come in handy too.

You may have to restart the Finder (or reboot the Mac, or just log out and back in) for the latter to take effect.

Oh, I almost forgot: you can also copy and paste the folder in question in the Desktop folder (left pane in the Finder main window), and it'll appear on the Desktop itself.

Creating a Shortcut on a Mac Desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.