13 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2014 12:17 PM by evolkram2
Allan-Michael Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

After opening several Tabs in Finder, I find they have closed after I´ve shut down & then (Later), restart my Mac Mini.

The Safari tabs stay open.

Cant find anything in `Finder Preferences´ or in `System Preferences´.

Anyone know???

Mac mini (Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.4)
  • Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (96,645 points)

When you click Restart from the Apple menu  you should see dialog asking if you want to Reopen windows when logging back in.

Have you tried that ?

• Allan-Michael Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes the box is checked!

This is hapenning after I `Shut Down´ and then, maybe next day or whenever I turn on my Mac. The Finder Tabs are gone (Just the main Finder window is open).

"Reopen windows when logging back in" is also checked at shut down. (Its always activated!).

AMI.

• Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (96,645 points)

The tip worked for Mountain Lion here > Mountain Lion not remembering open...: Apple Support Communities

Might work for Mavericks.

Thanks Carolyn,

will try that!

Please don´t´think me a complete fool, but wheredo I enter the search under `Go´?

I need to look for & Delete:

~/Library/Saved Application State/com.apple.finder.savedState

And:

• Your finder app may be configured NOT to restore the windows. Try this:
    • defaults write com.apple.finder NSQuitAlwaysKeepsWindows -bool true

I´m afraid I dont know the commands to get to where I need to do the above!

Can you help me one last time please?

Thanks in advance for your time.

AMI.

• Miska_FL Level 2 Level 2 (390 points)

First question:

You click on finder the smiley face on the dock then look at the menu bar all the way up top you should see "Go", click on it then hold the option key on the keyboard and you should see Library click on it and this will place you inside your user specific Library folder aka ~/Library (~ = user specific).

Second question:

You need to open terminal and copy/paste that command in there.  To open terminal press command + space keys and search for "terminal" then press enter.

Hi again Carolyn,

Maybe I´m not as bad as I thought!

I have found the commands for the search (Cmd+Shift+G).

I´ll give it a try & inform how it went!

Thanks also to Miska for help on 2nd question!!!

AMI.

Well guys,

I have tried all that you suggested, & then I restarted.

Sadly the Finder Tabs are not staying open!

But maybe it needs another restart or shut down first.

But as I am too busy to keep restarting etc. at the moment. I will have to see if it works after the next shut down / restart.

(I´ll let you know).

By the way, do your Finder Tabs stay open in your Mavericks?

The Finder Windows always stayed open in Lion!

Thanks for all your help though!

@ Miska:

Cmd & Space offers a change of keyboard language input .

I found Terminal in the Launchpad under `Other´ 

Hi Carolyn, Hi Miska,

Just done another restart, & YES! The Finder Tabs were there!!!

THANK YOU for all your help.

This is what makes this Apple Support comunity great!

Oh well, it was good while it lasted!

Two Shut downs & the Tabs were still there.

This morning they are gone!!!

This is really irritating

Any more suggestions out there???

• bluetortilla Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)

@Carolyn Samit- it doesn't sound like you're running Mavericks, are you? In Mavericks Finder is whole other, well, maverick.

@Allan-Michael I'm trying to reproduce it too. I got a tight ship now with Finder and having it open as I left it would be quite nice. I'll try for a week and post back.

• bluetortilla Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)

I can't get it to work at all, even with the solution posted. If restart I have to start all over again with Finder. Yes- irritating. It should behave like any other Mac program. It's a tabbed browser, hardly any different in function than a web browser like Safari.

• evolkram2 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Here's something that worked for me on this (at least for the past few days). In System Preferences, go to the "Users and Groups" tab, then to "Login Items". Then hit + to add application, but just add the folder that you want to appear as a finder window after startup instead of an app. Make sure to leave the "hide" box unchecked. If you need more finder windows open then add another folder (I haven't tried it with the same folder). I use two large finder windows so I can drag and drop between them. When I restart now, those two finder windows appear as the same size/location as they were at shutdown. When I used the applications folder on my Mavericks computer though, it appeared as the little default window, so now I've got it set to open the home folder in one window and my external drive folder in the other. This seems to work just fine. I have a Mavericks machine and an older machine running Lion, on which I'd had the same problem, and this trick seems to work on both systems.

• evolkram2 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Oops, it seems that I didnt reread this thread very carefully before posting this. My problem with the Finder was that after startup there were no Finder windows open AT ALL. So what I described above would not reproduce the Finder windows states as they had been at shutdown, other than size and location, but would reset to the location you specify in the preferences. Although there is one tab open per window when I startup, I don't think this would help with remembering the states of multiple tabs. But after having to reopen and resize my finder winows EVERY $%^&** time I restarted the computer, I find this a definite improvement. I can't believe that no one else has had this specific problem, because I've had it happen on 2 different machines with 2 different operating systems.