Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini hdmi flickering after Mavericks update

Hi,

My Mac Mini 2011 is hooked up with HDMI to my 1080p HDTV, and has been working fine with Lion and Mountain Lion. But after the upgrade to Mavericks, I now get display flickering all the time.

It is set to 60Hz NTSC in the Display settings, and changing it to 50Hz just gives me a black screen.

Has anyone else experienced this or have a solution maybe?

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 2011 base, 2,3 Ghz i5, 4Gb RAM

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 3:11 AM

9 replies

Oct 26, 2013 5:50 AM in response to David Munch

All is fine here using dual monitors (HDMI to DVI and Mini DisplayPort to DVI)

Try resetting the NVRAM, as per > About NVRAM and PRAM

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

Oct 28, 2013 7:26 AM in response to David Munch

I have the issue on my 27" iMac (2010). I'm using a MonoPrice mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter to use a Samsung 52" 1080p HDTV as a second display. Mavericks introduced flickering at 1080p @ 60hz, while Lion and Mountain Lion worked flawlessly. NVRAM and SMC resets did not fix the problem. Currently I have no solution for the issue in Mavericks and need to boot into a cloned Mountain Lion volume to use the HDMI display.

Nov 27, 2013 4:12 PM in response to hoeni

Count me in on this one. I have a 2011 Mac mini running a media center. It's connected to my Samsung TV via HDMI. Before upgrading to Mavericks it was all working fine, but since upgrading when I play my ripped movie files I keep getting this periodic shimmer starting about 3/4 of the way up the screen and slowly rippling its way up to the top. It's really annoying and distracting. That *never* happened before Mavericks. Does anybody have any ideas to getting this fixed?

In case it matters, I had to use the overscan slider in the Monitors preferences a little to make the menubar properly visible.

Oct 4, 2014 6:34 PM in response to rosch

Filed all sorts of bug reports etc and in the end I just gave up and downgraded to snow leopard. Now all my AV setup movies are shimmer free and all is good in the world. It is my experience that Apple just ignore their old hardware and focus on moving forward. With all the bugs that need fixing, the very many bugs, spending the time to fix anything for 5 year old computers never bubbles to the top of their priority list...

Feb 20, 2015 2:11 PM in response to David Munch

Howe i solved a similar problem:

I had all sorts of strange things going on with my 2014 mac mini. I have 2x 1080p BENQ monitors.

I have one connected via HDMI to HDMI and it works fine. The other i was trying to get working via a little break out box from ebay - its mini display port to either (HDMI, DVI or standard display port).

I was trying to get dual display by connecting 2 different HDMI cables from the little box to either of my monitors. Neither of the HDMI cables worked. One of the monitors would show static for a second or two, then the display would appear, then static then display etc... it was flickering like crazy. the other monitor simply wouldn't work would just stay in idle mode.

When I tried connecting via DVI output on the little breakout box to HDMI (using a HDMI to DVI cable) it worked flawlessly.

Mac mini hdmi flickering after Mavericks update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.