Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Digital Booklets for albums no longer handled within iTunes - so annoying!

So, as one of its "improvements" to iTunes, digital booklets are now handled by iBooks. And they have removed the ability to edit the metadata, so now I have a bunch of booklets in iBooks in no order, and unsearchable.

1. I can't see why I should want to have another app open to read the booklets assiciated with an album I am listening to.

2. Why should I not be able to edit the metadata, or create my own booklets from PDF or scans?

3. If they do change this, am I really going to have to edit the metadata of my 5000 digital booklets inn my iTunes library?

What a pain the the backside!

iTunes-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 3:41 AM

8 replies

Oct 26, 2013 8:58 AM in response to jackfromlondon

I second your emotion!

I have not been an iBook user (and I don't even own an iPhone or iPad), but I am a huge iTunes user (on an iMac). Here are my observations and complaints.

1. I think this is some sort of mistake or oversight - it makes no sense whatsoever to remove an iTunes music digital booklet from it's source - to force us to open another app to view the liner notes for an album. I predict (and certainly hope) they will reintegrate this in the future.
  2. When I opened iBooks, it only imported one (one!) of numerous digital booklets from my iTunes library. The rest it left stranded in iTunes.
  3. When I tried to import the rest - all named "digital booklet.pdf" and nested within the iTunes library file structure - it tried to overwrite the one that was already there.
  4. The books themselves are buried deep within the system library file system - quite inaccessible.
  5. That's not a problem, necessarily, but not being able to edit metadata (title, author, etc.) also makes no sense whatsoever. Shouldn't it work like iTunes, where I can edit artist, song and album title, etc.?

Anyway, this strikes me as an inadvertent snafu - a bad side effect of the iBooks improvements. Again, I hope Apple is paying attention and will improve both the fuctionality of iBooks (particularly as relates to metadata editability) and its integration with iTunes (reuiniting our music with its accompanying documentation).

Nov 5, 2013 10:38 AM in response to jackfromlondon

I just made it work on my Macbook Pro running Marvericks. I added the digital book into itunes using File: Add to Library.. Then I searched for the digital book in itunes using Search Library. Once I found it, I added it to a playlist and in the playlist I was able to right click it to access Get Info. Add the artist name, album etc... and done.

My attempt at helping.

May 18, 2014 4:11 AM in response to imunger5

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I am pretty annoyed with this iTunes/iBook digital booklet fiasco.

The method sugested above don't work for me. If I copy a db into the album folder then import it into itunes, it is immediately removed from the folder by iTunes, and put into the Music/Books/Artist/Album folder!

I cannot find a way to edit the metadata in digital booklets so this doesn't happen.

Also, the system doesn't seem to be consistent. Some of the dbs are showing in iTunes, but presumably that's becasue they are tagged as music.

Can't see a way around this as the minute I copy+add in the ones from iBooks, itunes just removes them back to Books!

Any more ideas on this VERY annoying aspect of iTunes?

Digital Booklets for albums no longer handled within iTunes - so annoying!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.