Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX Server 3 Failed to Update Services, Reboot Fails now

I upgraded my Mini Server to Mavericks, then installed the Server 3 upgrade (paid $19.99). The installation hangs during "Updating Services" and most windows become unresponsive. Remains in that state for hours. I lost patience and rebooted from a remote ssh session. Now the server doesn't reboot. I restored back to 10.8.5.

Has anyone encountered and resolved this condition?

To be precise, during the Update Services process, the gauge stops at the "d" in Updating... label.

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 6:43 AM

15 replies

Jan 8, 2014 2:25 PM in response to LAPALAG

It's rather rediculous, but I ended up trashing the entire /Library/Server folder along with all the plist files I could find in the Preferences folder.

The only services I use are Time Machine and Caching at this point in time, so it's not the end of the world for me to reconfigure. In fact, Time Machine didn't need any reconfiguing. To maintain Caching, I went ahead and set it up fresh, but replaced the "new" Cache folder with the one from a few days ago. All back to normal.

I'm not sure trashing the whole Server folder would be wise for the other services.

Jan 9, 2014 1:38 PM in response to jtashiro

I had the same problem. Finally found a solution that appears to work fine.

Using any free app uninstaller, remove "server" from your applications and remove it and all of its related files.

Empty the trash.

Restart your Mac holding down the 'shift' key. This puts you in safe mode.

Go to the Apple app store and re-download the "server" app.It will ,et you do this, becuase it cannot find a copy of the app anyplace on your computer.

After downloading and installation, configure the 'server' app following its commands.

Restart as usual .... presto ... works!

You can then re-configure as required.

Jan 9, 2014 5:02 PM in response to racerope

Adding my own 2 cents...

I would not recommend an uninstaller app to be used on a production server...

If you trash the server app, its detected by the OS and server services are stopped.

You can drag the app from the trash back to Applications (vs re-downloading) and when you run the app, it will try to configure services with your existing data. (this assumes there is nothing wrong with the app you trashed)

If you trash /Libary/Server, you trash your data (if its stored in the default location).. so those with wiki, web, etc should not trash this folder.

Best practice with servers..

Always make a clone before doing any updates.

You want a roll-back option for when things go wrong.

Jan 9, 2014 6:08 PM in response to UptimeJeff

UptimeJeff - the problem here is that the Mini does not upgrade Services correctly in the first-place - it hangs during Upgrade. Out of frustration, rebooted via ssh session, the Mini hangs on restart. So there isnt a way to drag the Mavericks-Server app to Trash.

the rollback for me was all the way back to pre-Mavericks.

If you have a recommended set of steps to upgrade to Maverick, and upgrade Services, pls post.

Jan 10, 2014 7:27 AM in response to LAPALAG

I wonder if all the files were trashed. When I reloaded Server from the app store, it is of course 3.0.2, so it did not need updating.

It did take about fifteen minutes to load and re-install, but did not get stuck. All is working fine still.

Be nice for Apple to jump in here, maybe with a link to 3.0.1 That would be nice!

OSX Server 3 Failed to Update Services, Reboot Fails now

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.