Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air A1237 - No Sound but shows as working?

Hey good people!

So i just accquired a Macbook Air Late 2008 obviously out of warranty, now the odd thing is the speakers show as "working" ie:

They show up in the Sytem report

I can select internal speaker in the Sound output

The volume buttons behave normally, showing the icons of volume levels going up and down and the mute key.

However I have NO SOUND whatsoever, not even via Headphones.. I have tried PRAM and SMC, to no avail.

There is also no Bong! when powering on.

When I first touch the volume up or down keys, and on occasions, you can hear the slightest of a audible pop or tap, but then nothing else.

Any advice? Thank you!

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Didn't work on Lion via restore

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 6:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 10:55 AM

Youve done all you can up to reinstalling the OS. However upon same if no change you have a genuine hardware fault either at the logic board or the speakers are kaput, however independently both going out is unlikely, rather the logic.

After which youll need to make a service call 😊

2 replies

Jul 7, 2015 2:18 PM in response to coxsparra

HI there,

Just wanted to add my recent experiences with an old MBA A1304. A similar set of symptoms lead to me replacing the speaker along with the ribbon cable. The replacement didn't work either - until I tried powering up after I'd removed the battery. Hey presto, I heard the chime and could hear the clicking as you change volume using the keys. On closer inspection, I found that the battery had become swollen and had been pressing onto the ribbon cable which seems to have been the problem. Indeed the original ribbon cable seems to have become permanently damaged by the pressure. However the replacement ribbon cable is fine and works with either of the speaker units.

Thought I'd post this just in case it helps someone else!

Cheers,

Martin.

Macbook Air A1237 - No Sound but shows as working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.