Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Older Powe Mac pro NIC Failure Workaround Wanted

I have an older PowerMac Pro (G4 dual mirror door) that is a good robust machine able to rip Vinyl to digital. The machine is run occasionally when I have the urge to make a digital transfer of a favorite record. While idle, the on board NIC has failed. I have a Mac Airbook USB NIC that should be driver compatible but when I open the Network Control Panel to make settings, it just hangs waiting for the built in NIC to become ready. Is there any way to tell the control panel to ignore the built in NIC that does not involve a working control panel? This is, is there an associated P-List file I can edit? At this point, the machne has no commercial value but it is in excellent condition otherwise with SATA disk controllers and modern disks, Firewire 800 and USB2 interfaces added. I'd hate to scrap it over a lame NIC problem.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6), G4 Dual Mirror Door oldie

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 8:28 AM

1 reply

Oct 26, 2013 12:06 PM in response to 2-Greys

Hello,

I can't guaranty this, but I'd try moving the Ethernet .kext out & reboot, may be a differnt name on an MDD or different OSX, but here's my G5 one...

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleBCM5701 Ethernet.kext

At the Apple Icon at top left>About this Mac, then click on More Info, then click on Software>Extensions, look for Ethernet.

Older Powe Mac pro NIC Failure Workaround Wanted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.