Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activity monitor memory usage pie chart gone?

What happened to the pie chart that sits in the dock that shows memory usage? I found this very useful in the past, and Mavericks seems to have removed it from the dock options.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 9:55 AM

Hi..

Yes, Activity monitor have been redesigned, and that feature is gone.

Sadly, i used it to. :-)

Regards

Dennis

18 replies

Mar 27, 2014 10:13 AM in response to Mith_maker

Actually, if you read what memory compression does you'll find out that it uses your CPU to relieve some of the pressure from RAM. This is great with a newer computer that has a fast CPU but if you're like me and using a 2.66 Ghz i5 processor you'll find that it makes your life slower than without compression.

I took a chance and turned compression off using Terminal and my machine is MUCH faster now. All I have to do is watch Memory Usage just like I used to and restart Photoshop when it gets filled up since that's always the big hog for me.

You can google "turn off memory compression" and you'll find the code to pop into your Terminal. There's probably some risk of file corruption but I don't store mission critical files on my system drive and use Time Machine so I feel that the speed is worth the risk until I upgrade my machine.

I do miss the piechart though and wish I could get it back.

May 4, 2014 3:31 PM in response to darlingdearie

Uhhh, I know it's a bit late for this but...

darlingdearie wrote:

I don't have a dock icon called "memory pressure graph".

I have

CPU Usage

CPU History

Network Usage

Disk Activity

so it's hard to know what you're taking about when referring the the "memory pressure graph".

Please clarify. Thanks!

... it sounds like you have a previous version of the Activity Monitor. The one that comes with 10.9 has

CPU

Memory
Energy

Disk

Network

The memory pressure is at the bottom of the Memory tab.

Activity monitor memory usage pie chart gone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.