Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Outbound VPN connection disrupts LAN

A VPN from my Mavericks Mac appears to be disrupting my LAN somehow.

With a connection to another server running from my MacBook Pro my local server (Mac mini) can't connect to the WAN. Safari, for example, says it's not connected to the internet. The mail server appears to be off-line as is the iChat service.

As soon as I disconnect the VPN my local server reconnects to the internet and all services come back online.

I'm 99.99% sure this has happened since I upgraded the MacBook Pro to Mavericks.

Or is it Something Else?!

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 7:52 AM

David,

I have exactly the same problem. I have upgraded all my machines except an old Mac Mini to Maverics. If I start the native VPN client under Mavericks to connect to my work's network (Cisco IPSec) then the moment it connects it disruprts my local network (iPhones and iPads drop off internet). I double checked that this does not happen if I start the VPN on the old Mac Mini running ML. So, this is clearly a Maverciks issue. In my case, even if I disconnect the VPN connection, the other devices (iPhones etc.) cannot get back on the internet unless I reboot my router/modem. When this happens the only thing that still works on the affected devices is VPN. Very strange and I have not been able to find the solution yet. This happens when I start VPN under Maverics on a MB-Pro, a MB-Air, and an iMac. If you find the solution please let me know, I will do the same.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2013 7:52 AM in response to David Gordon

David,

I have exactly the same problem. I have upgraded all my machines except an old Mac Mini to Maverics. If I start the native VPN client under Mavericks to connect to my work's network (Cisco IPSec) then the moment it connects it disruprts my local network (iPhones and iPads drop off internet). I double checked that this does not happen if I start the VPN on the old Mac Mini running ML. So, this is clearly a Maverciks issue. In my case, even if I disconnect the VPN connection, the other devices (iPhones etc.) cannot get back on the internet unless I reboot my router/modem. When this happens the only thing that still works on the affected devices is VPN. Very strange and I have not been able to find the solution yet. This happens when I start VPN under Maverics on a MB-Pro, a MB-Air, and an iMac. If you find the solution please let me know, I will do the same.

Nov 26, 2013 8:57 AM in response to David Gordon

David,

over the last couple of days the problem has ceased to exist without me modifying anything at all on my VPN or Mac OS X setup. Thus, I assume that either my ISP or my work IT has changed someting on their setup that solved the issue. This does not mean that Maverics is completely inncocent, but rather that there seems to be an incompatibility (unknown who is to blame) lurking between Maverics and some configuration (of either the ISP or VPN server) that does not seem to exist between Mountain Lion and the same ISP or VPN-server configuration. I will ask the work IT if they have changed anything on the VPN server side.

Hope this helps ...

Outbound VPN connection disrupts LAN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.