Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail won't save my iCloud password after update to Mavericks

EVerytime I open Mail version 7.0 (1816) after installing Mavericks, I am asked to enter my iCloud password. I do that and rcieve iCloud mail normally. Open the Mail prefs, I noticed that my password was no longer store in the iCloud account. That's why I'm being asked to enter it on each startup. OK, I enter the same/corfrect password in the filed in Prefs, close the prefs and get the 'save' prompt (since I changed that setting). Click the save button and contine reading/sending mail. If I return to the prefs, the password is again gone, the field is empty.

I believe the solution to this same problem a couple of years ago was to manually set up the iCloud/Apple account rather than let Mail do it automatically. Not a difficult process by annoying, to say the least. I think the appropriate plist is ~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData. At least that plist is showing the same date/time stamp for changes I make in Mail prefs. The dictionary item for what I think is the password is "uniqueID." It is encrypted, of course, but is not showing a change even when I intentionally enter a different password. I duplicated this plist, opened Mail and entered my password... again, and saved the changes. Mail came in and I quit the app. I now opened both the duplicated plist and the supposedly just changed one and compared them in BBEdit. The only changes were two entried called "<key>DateOfLastSync</key>" which, obviously, indicated the two different times the mail accounts were synced.

I may try copying the entire plist, moving it from its normal position, forcing Mail to create a new file. I can then copy and paste the old info, except for the iCloud info back into the new plist. At least that way, I don't have to reenter stuff. Otherwise, the method will be to simply delete the iCloud account and try setting it up manually. The major problem I see in that is having if sync to my iPad and iPhone and delete stuff there! Then I'll have to trust in iCloud to sync the new stuff back to them after re-entering the data in Mail! Too much "trusting" if you ask me. And all because Mail can't actually use the current plist?!

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 8 GB DDR3

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 3:54 PM

Fixed. Method I used below. I did call AppleCare and several things were tried with no improvement:

1. Moved the "com.apple.mail-shared.plist" to the Desktop. That plist does not include any password(s) as best I can tell. It's very short and I'm not sure it is even used by Mail anymore. I've started and quit Mail several times and that plist has yet to be re-created in the ~/Library/Preferences directory.
  2. Started up in Safe mode.
  3. Logged OUT and then logged IN to my standard testing account.
  4. Re-entered my password.

BTW, we used the Apple Remote Access app so the tech could see my screen even though he could not actually click any buttons or start/quit any apps. But it was very useful for the tech to see that the password simply disappeared when one left that part of the Mail prefs. At least he knew I was not crazy... mostly! ;-)

During our conversation he mentioned that there are many reporting problems with Mail and Mavericks. Most were having trouble either sending or receiving mail from iCloud. He even stated that iCloud was intermittantly down. Once I entered my password on opening Mail, I never had any problem getting mail nor did I ever note that iCloud service was down. But if that's your problem, just know that Apple is aware of it and is "working on it." 🙂

Now, my fix was somewhat complicated but only because Mavericks has a new System pref. I decided I would simply delete my iCloud account in Mail and re-create it. However, clicking the "-" button only caused a dorp down sheet to tell me that I needed to do this deleting in the "Internet Accounts" pref panel. At least a button was included to directly open that panel.

The iCloud Mail account was deleted in that pref panel with no further problems. However, that panel also has many other items that might be connected/synced via iCloud. If you UNcheck any of those items, carefully read the dropdown sheet. Matter of fact, if you go the other way and enable some syncing, be sure to read and heed the displayed text. I disabled Calendar but it has been showing a ":Moving calendars to server account..." progress bar for nearly 30 minutes now. I seriously doubt my minimal entries are really taking that long. Yet Force Quit doesn't indictae that Calendar is 'not responding.' Who knows? I'm about to do a Force Quit on it, anyway.

Hope this helps anyone with the password failing to 'stick' problem. Of course, it's only prident to save all your account info before deleting it! :thinking: 🙂

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2013 3:54 PM in response to xairbusdriver

Fixed. Method I used below. I did call AppleCare and several things were tried with no improvement:

1. Moved the "com.apple.mail-shared.plist" to the Desktop. That plist does not include any password(s) as best I can tell. It's very short and I'm not sure it is even used by Mail anymore. I've started and quit Mail several times and that plist has yet to be re-created in the ~/Library/Preferences directory.
  2. Started up in Safe mode.
  3. Logged OUT and then logged IN to my standard testing account.
  4. Re-entered my password.

BTW, we used the Apple Remote Access app so the tech could see my screen even though he could not actually click any buttons or start/quit any apps. But it was very useful for the tech to see that the password simply disappeared when one left that part of the Mail prefs. At least he knew I was not crazy... mostly! ;-)

During our conversation he mentioned that there are many reporting problems with Mail and Mavericks. Most were having trouble either sending or receiving mail from iCloud. He even stated that iCloud was intermittantly down. Once I entered my password on opening Mail, I never had any problem getting mail nor did I ever note that iCloud service was down. But if that's your problem, just know that Apple is aware of it and is "working on it." 🙂

Now, my fix was somewhat complicated but only because Mavericks has a new System pref. I decided I would simply delete my iCloud account in Mail and re-create it. However, clicking the "-" button only caused a dorp down sheet to tell me that I needed to do this deleting in the "Internet Accounts" pref panel. At least a button was included to directly open that panel.

The iCloud Mail account was deleted in that pref panel with no further problems. However, that panel also has many other items that might be connected/synced via iCloud. If you UNcheck any of those items, carefully read the dropdown sheet. Matter of fact, if you go the other way and enable some syncing, be sure to read and heed the displayed text. I disabled Calendar but it has been showing a ":Moving calendars to server account..." progress bar for nearly 30 minutes now. I seriously doubt my minimal entries are really taking that long. Yet Force Quit doesn't indictae that Calendar is 'not responding.' Who knows? I'm about to do a Force Quit on it, anyway.

Hope this helps anyone with the password failing to 'stick' problem. Of course, it's only prident to save all your account info before deleting it! :thinking: 🙂

Oct 27, 2013 7:18 AM in response to richiekess

Granted, it's frustrating. But was actually a blip in my using the Mac and even Mail. I've had this same problem years ago, so I had an idea of how to solve it. It was actually easier this time since the automagically part worked! The previous time it did not.

It appears that one of the 'under-the-radar' changes in Mavericks is the new Internet Accounts pref panel. I simply had not seen it and was confused until I realized what it does. I think it is slightly misnamed but I think it will make connections and settings for iCloud easier to manage. :-)

Hope you get your set up working as quickly as I did. I only called AppleCare because I think they should know about the problem. OTOH, I did not create a 'ticket,' so it may not get the immediate attention it could have. That's something you might want to do.

Oct 28, 2013 1:18 PM in response to xairbusdriver

I was having the same trouble, and tried xairbusdriver's process, but got stuck when I couldn't find 'com.apple.mail...etc.' After I continued reading, I played around with some other settings based on his comments, and was able to retain my password and stop this incredibly annoying glitch!

Under 'System Preferences' I selected the 'Internet Accounts' that airbus was referring to. I then selected iCloud, de-selected Mail and closes the Preferences window.

I then loaded Mail and was prompted to add an account. Once I added iCloud as my account, Mail seemed satisfied with keeping my password and is not incessantly asking for it.

I apologize if that's sort of what airbus suggested anyway, but I'm a Boeing guy (767 FO out of YYZ!) and me smart like dump truck... I need things explained very basically, and on the level of circa 1980s technology!!

Good luck all those experiencing this!!!

Oct 28, 2013 3:08 PM in response to Community User

I have nothing against Boeing! They make great aircraft! The 'fly-by-night' company I retired from has just brought on 767s to go along with the 757s and 777s they already have. I went through Boeing Field when the company bought 737s! And I flew all three seats in the old standard 727. An article in the local paper (reporting on the arrival of the 767s) even reported that the company has now owned/flown every Boeing aircraft built (except the 787 which I don't think yet has a cargo version) ! Of course, that includes the quasi-Boeing DC/MD10s and MD11s. LOL! 😁 I'll not mention the company, but I can say their trucks/aircraft are NOT brown!

As the paragraph above proves, I talk/write too much and usually end up making things sound more difficult than need be! You are correct, using the 'Internet Accounts' pref panel should be all that's needed to fix this problem. The problem is that my old method of flying; just use the shiney switches, doesn't work in Mavericks nor in newer, glass cockpits! They are both too new to have any well-worn switches!!! 😊

Nov 1, 2013 11:27 PM in response to xairbusdriver

What worked for me was much easier:

Open the Mail app. Go to Preferences. Click on the Accounts tab, and then the Advanced tab.

Look for the Authentication box. If you're having this problem, it will be set to "Password." Click on the box and select "Apple Token."

Apple uses Tokens as a secure way to access iCloud services without having to use your password, by providing your username and password to the app over an encrypted SSL connection.

Nov 3, 2013 5:33 AM in response to jerstra

Thanks to all, but especially jerstra, your solution solved my problem. I've had bad experiences deleting mail accounts in the past, I didn't want to risk it!

jerstra wrote:

What worked for me was much easier:

Open the Mail app. Go to Preferences. Click on the Accounts tab, and then the Advanced tab.

Look for the Authentication box. If you're having this problem, it will be set to "Password." Click on the box and select "Apple Token."

Apple uses Tokens as a secure way to access iCloud services without having to use your password, by providing your username and password to the app over an encrypted SSL connection.

Mail won't save my iCloud password after update to Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.