Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay unreliable after iOS 7 upgrade

After the iOS 7 upgrade on my iPad (Gen 4, 64GB WiFi only, version 7.0.3), airplay functionality (mirroring) has been unreliable - it works for a couple of times but then refuses to connect (i.e. mirror). The screen on the AppleTV remains unchanged and the iPad semi-freezes - in this situation the only way to make it mirror again is to restart the iPad and then it works a few times and then the problem cycle returns. I, however, have no issues with my iPhone 5 - airplay is super smooth with no disruptions. I have upgraded to the latest iOS 7.0.3 and have reset my iPad twice (full restore to default settings). I have tried several iPads Gen 2, 3 and 4 and the problem persists. My AppleTV has the latest version (6.0) and have tested this on an AIrport Extreme.

Any suggestions or anyone else having this issue?

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 10:04 AM

19 replies

Oct 26, 2013 8:06 PM in response to retaliator

I am having a very similar problem but it is with my iPhone 4S (16GB, iOS 7.0.3) connecting to my AppleTV (3rd Gen, latest update 6.0) via AirPlay. Sometimes it will connect, others not and when it does connect, it generally only lasts 1 min at the most before dropping. I have tried restarting everything but nothing really fixes it. I have the feeling that this only occured after I updated the iPhone to 7.0.3 from 7.0.2 but I'm not entirly sure.

I also have an iPad 2 (64GB, 3G, 7.0.3) and an iMac (27-inch Mid 2011) running OS X Mavericks (10.9) and neither of these devices seems to be having any problems connecting to the AppleTV using AirPlay over WiFi (via an Apple Airport Extreme).

The bit about my iPad 2 working seems to go against your experience. At the moment I can find no answers or fixes.

Oct 27, 2013 7:12 AM in response to Jeff Dyason

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your post - I actually double checked and realized that I have not tested this with a Gen 2 iPad yet. I have tested this using Gen 3 and 4 iPads. The problem started from the very first version of iOS 7 and there is no resolution since then.

I will try and find an iPad 2 from somewhere and see if I can replicated the problem there.

Oct 27, 2013 12:25 PM in response to retaliator

Having the same problem here. I have an iphone 4s and an Apple tv 3. Airplay from phone to ATV3 over wifi worked great before iOS7 and now cuts out after a minute or two. Sometimes a whole song plays but very inconsistent. There was also an ATV update recently so im not sure if that had anything to do with it???? Havent been having any issues playing music over itunes airplay from my PC to ATV3, just the 4S.

Anyways, very frustrating. Even when it does seem to work, I have trouble controlling music through the native player on the phone. Kind of hangs up and becomes unresponsive.

Hopefully theres a bug fix on the way?

Nov 1, 2013 7:48 PM in response to chrischet

Due to a power outage earlier in the week, both my Apple Extreme router and my AppleTV got rebooted at the same time. Now I am having no problems airplaying from my iPhone 4S to my AppleTV. Both my iPad2 and iMac are also still airplaying with no problems.

So if you are still having problems, try and turn everything off at the same time and then turn them back on and see if it helps.

Nov 3, 2013 8:59 PM in response to retaliator

I am having the same problem. I had an iPhone 4S 7.0.2 that worked fine with my Apple TV. I just got an iphone 5s 7.0.3. Sometimes airplay will work but will only last a while. I mostly use airplay to listen to music at night so I don't like to use mirroring; however, I can only listen to music on my tv if mirroring is enabled. I hope this gets fixed soon. My ihome is no longer compatible with my new phone and I'm waiting on the adapter.

Nov 5, 2013 7:55 AM in response to retaliator

We have done some research and have found that mirroring works if we use an ipad 2 with ios 7.0.3 but no ipads running ios 7.0.3 other than the ipad 2 (have tested with ipad 3 and retina and two ipad 2 and the ipad 2 work) . We have tested iphone 4s with 7.0.3 and have the same issue - we cannot mirror but can stream video and music.

With the ipad 3 and ipad with retina with 7.0.2 we tested, mirroring works. With an ipad with retina running ios 6.1, it works. So we are pretty sure its ios 7.0.3 that is causing the problem

Having said all of this, does anyone know how we can roll back to 7.0.2?

Dec 4, 2013 7:28 AM in response to retaliator

I have an iPad2 and use Airplay _merely_ for streaming audio to my AIRPORT EXPRESS box. Typically I am streaming BBC iPlayer material, or

live news streaming from the BBC News app or Al Jazeera.

In all these three cases I consistently get dropouts. In the case of where I am playing and streaming "on demand" material from my iPad and sending JUST the audio to my Apple Airplay Airport Express box - I get dropouts.

This hardly ever used to happen pre-iOS 7.

I am using the standard HUAWEI broadband router supplied by TalkTalk for my broadband.

Apple really needs to sort this out.

Airplay unreliable after iOS 7 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.