Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBA 2013 doesn't always wake since installed Mavericks

Ok so this just happened to me for the 5th time in as many days. Short version: The MBA doesnt always wake up after it goes to sleep, requiring me to hard reboot by holding down power key for 30 secs.

Longer version: I use my MBA as a desktop when I'm at home. Clamshell closed, on a stand, Thunderbolt to HDMI connector for 27in monitor (Planar), USB hub connecting wireless adapter for Logitec wireless kb, bluetooth targus mouse, power connected. Most of the time, when I walk away for more then a few minutes, the monitor will turn off (and green power light goes red, indicating no signal). I dont know if its sleeping or what, dont really care. When I come back, all I have to do is hit the space bar a few times or jiggle the mouse and the monitor comes back on and I go back to work...

...however, recently this hasnt always been the case. Nothing happens when I come back I notice the monitor light is green but there is nothing on the screen. I hit the spacebar or jiggle the mouse. Nothing. I open the clamshell, nothing. Its just dead. I have to hold down the power button 30 secs to hard reboot.

This happened occassionally with 10.8, but its happened multiple times in a row since I installed Mavericks on Wed. Energy Saver settings are default, exept I have unchecked "Put hard disks to sleep when possible". I've got a 256 SSD if that matters.

Anyone else having this problem?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 11:20 AM

2 replies

Oct 31, 2013 7:52 AM in response to tlovejr

I saw your post on another thread (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5475679?answerId=23497002022#23497002022) in which I posted as well. I'll put my final test here as well:

I just tested this a few more times (after setting a one-minute display turn-off). When the display turns off, it goes through three stages: 1. the screen dims, 2. the screen goes black, 3. the keyboard backlight turns off. Tapping the spacebar or swiping the trackpad anytime during stage 1 will reset the timer. Tapping the keyboard or swiping the trackpad during stage 2 will freeze the black screen with the keyboard lit up. Waiting until after stage three to tap the spacebar will wake up the display and everything is fine.

There is less than a one-second window between stages 2 and 3 while the screen is black but the keyboard is still fading that touching the input devices will hang the machine.

Can you reproduce this on your machine?

MBA 2013 doesn't always wake since installed Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.