Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install Mavericks on a second drive

I have Mac OSX Mavericks installed on the current system drive "Mac Daddy SSD".

Now I want to install Mavericks on the brand new drive "Big Mac Daddy". It seems like I'm supposed to install Mountain Lion on the new drive before I can start installing Mavericks, right? I do this by booting while pressing CMD + R.

It doesn't work. What am I missing here?

I have created a bootable USB with Mavericks on as well, but I'm not sure how to use it.

User uploaded file

Mac Pro, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 12:31 PM

8 replies

Oct 26, 2013 1:35 PM in response to Miska_FL

My computer came with an earlier system. It's a Mac Pro early 2008.

I have created the bootable Mavericks USB but it is never offered as an option to start from.

The cmd+option+R brings up the menu but it stops. The actual menu is halfway stuck in the top of my screen by the way. Can't see the top options but I can choose them.

Install Mavericks freeze before I even get to pick a drive.

Oct 27, 2013 12:05 AM in response to macjack

Too subtle, mj.

Hi, Eric!

Congratulations on advancing to Level 6!

At the Water Cooler in the Level 6+ Lounge, we are throwing virtual confetti in celebration of your attainment of Level 6-dom. Would you care to join us at the Water Cooler?

Towards the bottom of the index on the Apple Support Communities Home Page you soon will find the Lounge link available to you. It should work for you within the next 24 hours if all goes as it should.

Hope to see you there soon! User uploaded file

Install Mavericks on a second drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.