Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wi-fi no hardware installed 10.9

Hi,

I have a macbook pro 15" (late 2008) 2,4ghz core 2 duo, 2gb ram.

I update for the new OSX Mavericks 10.9 and i loose the wi-fi. When i click in the airport icon appears "wi-fi: No hardware installed"

I already clean the PRAM, SMC and run the repair permissions and still not working.

What can i do?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Wi-fi no hardware installed

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 1:37 PM

10 replies

Nov 10, 2013 2:59 AM in response to ldsousa

Some problem here. I have the Macbook Pro from 2011.

Updated to Maverick and this started happening, "Wi-Fi: No hardware installed".

I have tried the things I could find online that made the Wifi come back for some people:

-Resting SMC and NVRAM: made Wifi worked for a short while.

-Turing on and of Bluetooth and restarting: made it work for a short while.

-Turning of the computer and disconnecting the power for 15 sec then connecting it again and restarting: made the wifi come back a short while.

-I´ve alsow tried tampering with the wifi settnings, removing and adding services and so on.

-Turned the laptop upside down and squeezing on it, made it work for some, not for me.

Its so annoying that is works sporadically.. Which makes me think its a software problem.

Still nothing works.

This seems to be an ongoing problem for many Mac users, why are not Apple addressing this??

Next stop Apple store.

Nov 18, 2013 9:35 AM in response to ldsousa

After trying all the software related tips and tricks to get rid of "Wi-fi: No hardware installed", I left my MacBook Pro to a Apple Reseller.

It turns out that the cable between the airport-card and the logic-card wasent working. So they replaced the cable and now Wi-fi works!

Finally!

So keep in mind that "Wi-fi: No hardware installed" may be happening becouse of software problems or becouse of hardware problems.

Cheers!

Jan 23, 2014 7:17 AM in response to ldsousa

I had this problem of "Wi-fi: No hardware installed" on Macbook Pro 13" running on OSX 10.7.3. I was asked to upgrade the OS which sometimes could solve the problem and I upgraded it to Mavericks without results

I opened the laptop and made sure the cables are properly connected and re-checked and it still has the same error.

I may need to replace the cable or the airport card. However do you have any suggestions as to what I can do before going for a hardware replacement?

Please advice...

Cheers!

Jan 23, 2014 9:04 AM in response to Enochja

Its not an OS problem.

Don't believe them when they tell you this - it only means that they don't know what the problem is, how it arises or how to solve it.

I'm on 10.6.8. When my late 2010 iMac was just over a year old, the intermittent WiFi disappearances became permanent. (I normally connect to the internet via Ethernet so it was not generally an issue before then). Naturally I had already tried all the usual: PRAM reset, PMU reset, new User account etc.

Despite being out of Apple's 1 year warranty, I invoked my consumer rights and Apple agreed to repair my iMac for free. A local approved repair company replaced the cable attaching the WiFi card to the motherboard and the WiFi came back to life.

That was back in late 2011. I'm still on the same OS. Yesterday (21st Jan 2014) I needed WiFi again and - Quel surprise! - "No WiFi Card Installed". Just over 2 years after the repair and with hardly any use, WiFi has disappeared again.

This is not software, I firmly believe this is poor quality hardware or assembly - much like the graphics freezing issue others are experiencing. Don't waste time, energy and money, don't accept it and don't let it lie. Let Apple repair your WiFi card at their cost.

This is what I shall be doing again.

EU Directive 1999/44/EC holds retailers liable for all "non-conformities" which manifest within two years from delivery. Note this is retailers, not manufacturers. If you did not purchase directly from Apple, pursue the company you bought it from, not Apple. If outside the EU, look into your local equivalent regulations.

Here in the UK the Sales of Goods Act (SOGA) even exceeds the requirements of EU Directive 1999/44/EC.

SOGA provides cover for up to six years in England and Wales (five in Scotland). The act requires three things of sellers: the goods must be as described; they must be of satisfactory quality (determined by description, price, durability, freedom from minor defects); and they must be fit for purpose. In the event of a breach within five (or six) years, the seller must offer repair, replacement or compensation.

Go to it!

Feb 4, 2014 1:50 PM in response to ldsousa

Same here. I've tried to reset pram, didn't work this time. The problem is in brazil, there's no Apple store, so I heave to take my Mac to a tech assistant, which will take forever to give me an answer of what is the problem and probably charge me hundreds dollars for changing the cable. Is there any place I can order this cable to deliver to brazil?

Feb 4, 2014 2:19 PM in response to ldsousa

New information. Apple support in brazil asked me to reset the pram (command+option+p+r) and start in safe mode (hold shift after the tone, until a scroll bar appear). Then restart and it should work. If not, I should take to tech support. trying here, worked once. The second time, it didn't work. Maybe it helps someone. Searching the web for the cable to buy...

Jul 26, 2014 8:40 AM in response to Philip_Mac

[FIXED] Thanks to Philip_Mac

So I had the same exact wifi problem in my Macbook pro 2011 (Mavericks), "No Hardware Installed".

It started with the Macbook randomly not willing to reconnect after waking up from sleep unless I restarted the mac, then it randomly started dropping connections, so I formatted the drive and downgrade to Mountain Lion (I didn't like mavericks heat issues anyway), everything worked find for a couple of weeks then I started to get this new wifi error "No Hardware installed", this is where I started considering the fact that it is a hardware problem.

I tried:

1- Restarting

2- Reinstalling OS

3- Reset PR Ram

4- Reset SMC

So I realized that 1 of 4 parts is dead and I gotta replace in the exact order to save money

1-Flex cable connecting Mobo and WIFi card (cheap) ~$20

2-connector between wifi chip and antennas in the black plastic under the screen (average cost) ~20

3- Wifi chip (average cost) ~60

4- Motherboard (Extremely Expensive) ~$500+

What did work?

Replacing the flex cable, bought it from ebay for $17

N.B.

1-The cable I bought from ebay was a bit taller, so I had to duct tape it near the motherboard and near the wifi chip, to avoid bending the motherboard or the wifi connector when I close the back case of the laptop.

2- you gotta cover the connector from the wifi side anyway as this is how apple installed the original cable, it's probably not good for the back cover to touch this area.

wi-fi no hardware installed 10.9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.