Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod touch restore waiting for ipod

I want to restore my touch to the factory settings. It will no longer do anything.

If I connect to iTunes, it recognizes it and says it is in the process of recovery.

When I continue, It begins extracting files and then goes into "waiting for ipod" mode where it remains without proceeding - even after leaving it for a day.

Anyone now how I can proceed to get things to progress.

Thanks for any help you can provide

iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 6.1.4, retore in itunes - waiting for ipod

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 2:27 PM

11 replies

Oct 26, 2013 2:51 PM in response to lllaass

Thanks for the tip. I lookded there, but the suggestions involve being able to do stuff on the Touch. I can't. It is dead until I plug it into the computer which then has iTunes say it is in the middle of a restore - that's when I try to proceed and get the "extracting software" message followed by "waiting for ipod". In that state, on the Touch, the Apple logo appears under which is a progress bar that shows no progress and goes no further. I've now unhooked it from the computer and the Apple logo and progress bar still show and I assume will do so until the battery dies.

Thanks again for the suggestion

Oct 26, 2013 2:53 PM in response to patpres

Try:

- iOS: Not responding or does not turn on

- Also try DFU mode after try recovery mode

How to put iPod touch / iPhone into DFU mode « Karthik's scribblings

- If not successful and you can't fully turn the iOS device fully off, let the battery fully drain. After charging for an least an hour try the above again.

- Try on another computer

- If still not successful that usually indicates a hardware problem and an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store is in order.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Oct 26, 2013 3:30 PM in response to lllaass

I guess I'll have to wait fo rthe battery to die.

I tried to get into DFU mode but after following the steps there was no indication that such a state had happened. When I start up iTunes is still just says itunes has detected an iPod in Recovery mode. You must restore the iPod before it can be used with iTunes.

I see what happens if I leave it for the battery to drain

Thanks again for the suggestions

Oct 26, 2013 5:36 PM in response to patpres

Turn off the auto sync on the computer, that will stop the computer from spinning it's wheels.

From the top bar, iTunes menu, click on iTunes and select Preferences from the pull down menu.

Click on the Devices tab

check the box that says "Prevent iPods from syncing automatically".

Click on okay or done.

Now connect iPod, select and restore to factory settings.

Hope it fixes your iPod.

ipod touch restore waiting for ipod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.