Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery life issues on Macbook Air 2013

Hi, you all!

Since I bought this Macbook Air 2013 I've not been experiencing very good battery life with it.

I usualy get about 6-7 hours on a charge.

Don't get me wrong, its not bad battery life by any means, but I never could get near that 12 hour mark Apple is marketing. I tried recreating the conditions on Apples's tests, screen brihgtness in the 12th mark and keyboard light also on the 12th mark, bluetooh off, and light internet surfing (reading blogs, ocasional facebook and Pages writing). I only use the Apple's software, so that the computer can take maximum advantage of the battery.

Is there anything you guys might think I should try to get a little better battery life?

Thank you for your time!

Yuri

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Macbook Air mid 2013

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 4:35 PM

11 replies

Oct 26, 2013 4:52 PM in response to Yurilasz

You should get much more than 6 - 7 hours of battery life with a new MacBook Air.

Read: Mac notebooks: All about batteries

Also: Runaway applications can shorten battery runtime, affect performance, and increase heat and fan activity

If you use Google Chrome, don't. Safari 7 is both faster and much more power efficient.

Power problems justify an SMC reset. Read the procedure carefully: Reset the SMC.

Consider updating OS X to Mavericks. It's free.

User uploaded file.

The above MacBook Air is over two years old with nearly 200 battery cycles, but it is enjoying a 23% increase in battery life just from having upgraded to Mavericks from Mountain Lion.

Of course your MBA is new, but upgrading to Mavericks is like getting a brand new Mac for free.

If none of the above helps please write back for troubleshooting steps.

Oct 26, 2013 4:54 PM in response to Yurilasz

After Mavericks install, your "time remaining" WILL BE INACCURATE until you do a SMC reset in many case

SMC reset

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

There is a HUGE distinction here about someone getting less batt. life in actuality .......or are they just reading the "time remaining" and using that as a true indicator which is certainly is not.

Ive seen 3 notebooks after SMC reset jump 4+ hours in "time remaining" and slowly climb after 3+ full charge cycles.

Until things settle down, nobody should trust what the 'time remaining' says.

😊

Sep 26, 2014 3:48 PM in response to theKingofChaos

I'm having a similar problem (theKingofChaos) . Mine was showing 6hrs with a full charge, I timed it, and it lasted for about 6hrs.

I just did a fresh install and have nothing running. I saw --- 9hrs @ 100% --- 8:52 @ 98% --- 7:45 @ 96%,

The problem is that it went from 100% to 96% in the last 25 minutes while on the phone with Apple Support...

Now 7:35hrs @ 95% (While typing this... on another computer while the MBA sits with no apps open, and "No Apps Using Significant Energy", and Spotlight is not indexing...)

Battery life issues on Macbook Air 2013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.