8 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2015 8:42 AM by Jessiah87 Branched to a new discussion.
Tim.Leonard Level 1 (5 points)

Is there a script available for batch converting Numbers '08 files to Numbers 3.0?

Yvan Koenig used to have one that converted from Numbers '08 to Numbers '09 (called batch_Pages'08_2_Pages'09.zip) at http://www.box.net/shared/6fj0gao9u3a8r494d23o and the directory is still there with other scripts, but that script is no longer in the directory.

• SGIII Level 6 (8,682 points)

Hi Tim,

That sounds not so easy to do. Numbers 3.0 (alas) is not in the AppleScript Dictionary, so you'd have to kludge some kind of GUI scripting that clicks the Numbers menu to File>Open[DocumentName] then File>Save where you feed the script a list of documents. That probably can be done but it might be more reliable to do it manually. How many documents do you need to convert?

SG

• watsont.cbc Level 1 (10 points)

i have a similar need but the reverse for Pages.  Since making the serious mistake of upgrading from Pages and Numbers 09 to the newest and inferior versions, I already have literally hundreds that need to be reverted BACK to Pages 09.  Pages 5 is unstable and buggy at it's best.  I am not even going to try using Number 3 - I shudder to think about it.

• SGIII Level 6 (8,682 points)

Sorry you're having a bad experience with Pages. I'm doing fine with Numbers 3 but I don't have a lot of heavily formatted old documents that need printing. I do my "printing" (when I need it) to the iPad screen. It works well.

SG

• Tim.Leonard Level 1 (5 points)

Something has changed: Numbers 3.0 can now open my old Numbers '08 files without any problem.

Maybe there was a fix in a recent Software Update. In any case, it's no longer an issue needing resolution.

• Badunit Level 6 (11,615 points)

Really?!  I hope someone else will chime in and verify it.  The lack of '08 import has made a few people unhappy.

• Jerrold Green1 Level 7 (29,960 points)

Tim,

Be sure that you aren't inadvertently using Numbers 2.3 when you open iWork '08 documents. It's an easy mistake to make.

Jerry

• Tim.Leonard Level 1 (5 points)

Oops. Quite right. They're opening with Numbers '08 instead of Numbers 3.0.

• Jessiah87 Level 1 (0 points)

It seems that I can still open my Numbers '08 files in Preview and Quick Look, so I can at least view and print old documents. Likewise very annoyed that I can no longer edit those files in 3.0 though (now 3.5.3 at the time of this post).