Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto won't recognize my camera

This is happenign a lot lately! I plug in the camera I have always used...Nikon L110 - and iphoto doesn't see it! It has always worked before - what is going on?? This is serious as I need these photos!

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 8:20 PM

33 replies

Oct 27, 2013 9:29 AM in response to LarryHN

I just tried image capture and it won't see my camera either! Could it be a bad cable? this happened once before recently and I changed the camera's batteies and then it worked. I tired that this time and no luck. this is awful!

If I can get them into my ipad, then how would I get them from the ipad to my main computer? I am finding photostream does not really work.

Oh, this is really bad, my ipad is not seeing the camera either - it did just a few days ago. What now??

Dec 13, 2013 12:06 PM in response to Marty Roberts

I've been having this problem too, with my Nikon D5200. It always used to mount and now it doesn't. Sometimes I remove the card and insert it into the iMac, which is handy but I don't like handling the card so much. I just tried quitting and relaunching iPhoto, with the cable remaining connected and the camera turned on. Sure enough, when iPhoto launches, the camera mounts right away.

Aug 29, 2014 11:41 PM in response to Marty Roberts

Okay, so I'm completely on board with this whole conversation because this is incredibly strange and/or annoying.

I've been shooting via my travels around the world with a Canon Elph (780 IS) for YEARS. I actually have an affinity for this camera because it's been through **** and back with me (a LOT of travel), and it's always been stronger than my best inhibitions. I actually can't even see images on the screen/viewfinder after the amount of time I've had it because it's so incredibly scuffed up. The thing is, it's ALWAYS still taken great shots as a pocket-cam, but now...I plug it in, and NO program even recognizes that it's even attached. The camera itself goes into "connection mode" (that's just what I'm calling it and definitely not a "proper" term) and stops displaying whatever image was on the screen, but neither Image Capture or Iphoto even see it as being attached.

I've scoured the internet to find a solution for this...and this post is my last ditch effort. Not even Canon or Mac.com have solutions. Forgive my french ahead of time, but F*CK software making my AMAZINGLY USEFUL PIECE OF EQUIPMENT obsolete. I implore anyone reading this to offer up ANY kind of idea to what is happening. I'm not a clutz around a computer or tech, and this one has spurred me to post my very first blog post. Normally I just troll for all my answers.

Thanks ahead of time...

G

Aug 30, 2014 12:30 AM in response to Grammage

The camera itself goes into "connection mode" (that's just what I'm calling it and definitely not a "proper" term) and stops displaying whatever image was on the screen, but neither Image Capture or Iphoto even see it as being attached.

That looks like a hardware problem with your camera to me, like Terence Devlin suggested.

The camera could not be recognised for any of these reasons:

• A problem with the battery - not enough power.
  • A problem with the cable or connection
  • A problem with the card.

Have you tried to exchange any of these items or tried to use a card reader?

Do iPhoto or Image Capture recognise other cameras?

Aug 30, 2014 8:47 AM in response to léonie

No, on all accounts. There is ZERO wrong with any of the hardware. I just plugged the camera in to my mother's dinosaur of an HP and everything worked fine (although incredibly slow). She didn't have any of the necessary software for the Canon on her machine, it immediately sourced the correct software for the download, and transferred all of the photos without a hitch. Would you have another idea?

Iphoto and Image Capture both work fine with other peripherals. I use my flatbed scanner via Image Capture almost daily.

I'm sorry if that last post was taken as "swearing at" anyone in particular, but it's obvious this IS a software problem.

iphoto won't recognize my camera

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.