Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Server 3 downloaded but does not install. HTTPS proxy error

Hi all,

Thanks for looking into my problem.

I had a running OSX Mountain Lion with working OSX server 2.2.

I upgraded to Mavericks (works fine) and server app 2.2 showed does not work. That is normal.

I purchased the new server 3 app (i.e. OSX server for Mavericks) and it downloaded fine.

But when I click the server app icon and the dialogue for installation starts it does not continue to install.

The first question in continue, the server app then shows the license, after acceptance it starts a dialogue

"To configure OSX server on this Mac an administrator account is required. Please enter your password"

Upon entering the correct username and password a cryptic message appears:

"An error occurred while communicating with the secure Web-Proxy-Server. (HTTPS)"

(Or something like that: this was translated from German dialogues)

I cannot find any feedback what this is about. The server 3 app ends then and the server software does not install or configure the OSX server to get it operational again.

My Question:

What is wrong or am I doing wrong?

How can I fix this?

Some more data:

The original OSX server installation was an open domain server.

Upon checking the DNS name as described in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5300, the scutil --get HostName resolves the correct machine name (FQDN) but the host command does not resolve the correct DNS entry.

I am really stuck on this.

Can anybody please help?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks already

OSX server-OTHER, OS X Server

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 9:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 5:57 AM

Your DNS should always be correct. Fix that first, and try again.

Then verify you don't have a web proxy server around, nor anything that blocks outbound network connections to (at least) the 17.0.0.0/8 block; to Apple.

5 replies

Oct 27, 2013 6:06 AM in response to MrHoffman

Hi Mr Hoffman,

Thanks for the time to look at my problem

I checked and fixed the DNS. Since the Mavericks update disabled the OSX server I let it point to my networks DNS server. All fine now.

Ran server 3 app again but the same problem. It goes up to the request for the administrator password, I enter the correct credentials but then the server app ends with the error message

I am not sure if I understand your last remarks, and want to check my understanding.

I do have a proxy server around, but have full access to that. HTTP and HTTPS work normally, both inside (i.e. local intranet) and outside of my network (i.e. internet). I am not aware that 17.0.0.0/8 is blocked. Any suggestion how to test that?

Thanks again for taking the time to look at my problem with server 3 installation

best regards

Oct 27, 2013 6:13 AM in response to bibop92

Hi all,

I read that one should disable the SSL on a OSX server with Open Domain, prior to installing server 3. To double check: where is that configuration option hidden? How can I do this after upgrading the OSX client to Mavericks?

Seems I have not done that prior to upgrading OSX from mountain lion to mavericks. Now server 2.2 is disabled and I cannot access the server and installing server 3 app does not work.

Some details:

As described in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5300

(start snip)

OS X Server: Steps to take before upgrading or migrating the Open Directory database

Disable SSL

If you have SSL enabled, disable it before upgrading.

(end snip)

Oct 27, 2013 6:37 AM in response to bibop92

I progressed another small step by disabling the proxy server for the time being.

Instead of the message with the HTTPS error upon entering the administrator crediantials, I now get the message "connection to the server could not be established." The COnsole log entries reveal that it apparently attempted to pass the credentials to

"https://(the server and domain name)/devicemanagement/api/checkin"

and fails then with

"NSUnderlyingError = "Error Domain0kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork Code=-1004"

How can this be fixed? Would it have to do with the disabling of the SSL, which I am not sure was completed?

Hope somebody can shed some light here. Thanks already.

Server 3 downloaded but does not install. HTTPS proxy error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.