Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No empty trash option in iMovie v10 Mavericks

I upgraded to iMovie v10 in Mavericks and can't find out how to empty the trash.

I right click an event that is on an external hard drive and choose "Move Event to Trash"

I can see an option in Menu Edit > Undo Move Event to Trash which does what it says.

I want to permanently delete the movies but there is no empty trash option and the movies are not appearing in the regular Maveicks trash in the dock.

How do I empty the iMovie trash?

iMovie '11, OS X Mavericks (10.9), iMovie v10

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 12:00 AM

12 replies

Oct 27, 2013 12:19 AM in response to smith9

i had a look in the .movielibrary package and could see a __Trash folder

so why no empty trash option?

One thing to watch out for when upgrading your iMovie library is that it creates a new package file that contains all your movies and leaves your events and projects folders intact, you would need to delete these. - see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6012

Oct 27, 2013 3:50 AM in response to smith9

I think I have worked out what is happening:

1) If you delete an event that contains clips, it moves it to an internal __Trash folder in the .movielibrary package. This might be to allow you to restore accidental deletion. If you delete a second event containing multiple clips, that replaces the first set of clips in the __Trash folder (or perhaps adds to them), then when you close iMovie, these clips start getting deleted. They do not go to the trash in the dock.

2) If you delete a single clip, it goes straight to the trash in the dock.

Nov 24, 2013 2:26 AM in response to smith9

smith9 is correct, i just tried it.

I created an event and project, then imported a bunch of clips to the event and composed them in the project.

After publishing the project i wanted to delete the event and project as i have the original files stored else where and I didn't want my iMovie getting cluttered.

So I highlighted the event and selected 'File' then 'Move event to trash'. I did the same for the project as well.

User uploaded file

At this point you would think the files should go to your normal desktop trash bin, but in fact they go to a folder within your 'iMovie Library' Package contents called '_Trash' (see pic).

User uploaded file

This is a temporary folder, and allows iMovie to quickly retrieve the files if you decide actually you did want them.

However when you close your iMovie application they are removed, so don't go into 'Finder' and start deleting them. Your Mac does it for you.

Hope that helps.

May 11, 2014 2:26 PM in response to smith9

And thank you specifically for the information and link above about deleting the old Event and Project folders. I have just updated my old iMovie '11 (v 9) Library to the new iMovie 10, and have moved the new Library to an external hd to free up space on my iMac. I moved all contents of the old library to the trash but nothing happened, as per your original question here. So then I realized that all the content was still in those old folders within the Movies folder on the iMac, entitled iMovie Events and iMovie Projects. I could see that the Events and Projects I've created since using iMovie 10 were not in there, so I figured this was just all the files linked to the old version. I tested deleting them by moving something old to the Trash manually from within the Finder. That took care of it; it did go to the Trash and I could empty it, and it was still available in the new Library in iMovie 10. But I was still wary of deleting the ENTIRE Event and Projects Libraries before making sure that they were really not needed anymore. This page of the iMovie Support files online confirmed it. I did a lot of looking and never found this on the computer based Help file. Thank you! Now I can delete without worry and will enjoy my new-found 1.3 TB of hard disk space!

Sep 30, 2014 4:44 AM in response to Streeme

The movie clips may still be there. Try this.

- Open finder and Select your "username folder”

- Click and Select the folder named “Movies”

- Find the file “iMovie Library.imovielibrary”, and

- Right Click on it.

- Select menu Option “Show Package Contents”

- Find and Select folder “_Trash”

- Look inside the “_Trash” folder and see if your files are still there.

Hope it helped. 🙂

Apr 1, 2015 3:22 PM in response to Julio M

Thanks, Julio, for a clear answer. It is beyond me why Apple has to make this so difficult. We are not morons. Trashing something already has a failsafe: Before you empty the dock trash you think twice. Jeez. Another odd thing: If there is only one event in the Library, you can't send it to the (preliminary, iMovie only) trash folder. No, you have to create a new, empty event first, then delete the other one. Madness. There should always be clear instructions with any program on how to permanently delete something; privacy is already difficult enough to achieve in this day and age.

Jan 6, 2016 12:13 PM in response to Julio M

I tried Julio M's steps:

- Open finder and Select your "username folder”

- Click and Select the folder named “Movies”

- Find the file “iMovie Library.imovielibrary”, and

- Right Click on it.

- Select menu Option “Show Package Contents”

- Find and Select folder “_Trash”

- Look inside the “_Trash” folder and see if your files are still there.

But I could not find any Trash folder. Maybe it's because I quit iMovie after trashing my clips and then opened it again to try Julio's steps?

-Tom

May 4, 2016 7:54 PM in response to Julio M

This suggestion helped me TREMENDOUSLY!!! Just wanted to give an update as to how I had to navigate...

- Open finder and Select your "username folder” - MY FINDER DOESN'T AUTOMATICALLY GIVE ME THIS OPTION.

User uploaded file

WHAT I HAD TO DO IS THIS (SORRY FOR ALL THE IMAGE FILES BUT I FELT WAS THE BEST WAY TO SHOW THESE STEPS)... User uploaded file

1. Click on desktop and then click on "Go". Then I had to click on "Computer". This brought up the finder window I needed - not sure why I blacked out some of it, lol.

User uploaded file

2. After selecting the option that is your hard drive (you can see I named mine VintageUgly HD) you then should have something that resembles this screen.

User uploaded file

3. Click "Users" and then select the proper user... Mine was my name and has a house icon.

User uploaded file

4. Open the "Movies" folder

User uploaded file

5. For me, when I did this, I got this screen which is different than the other instructions - |Find the file “iMovie Library.imovielibrary” - this was not a file that was available to choose.

5.1 - What I had to do ( I use a right-clicking mouse, mind you) - right-click on the 'iMovies Library' folder, and choose 'Show package contents'!

User uploaded file

5.2 - This opened up the folder that was explained in the other instructions "- Find and Select folder “_Trash”

User uploaded file

6. When I opened up that file, I saw tons of movies that I had thought were previously deleted - but WERE NOT! I was able to clear 75gigs by then dragging and dropping all of them into the normal trash bin!!!!

I hope this has helped anyone with a Mac like me where the menu's are as cut and dry as others!!!

May 4, 2016 7:55 PM in response to tfeledy

This suggestion helped me TREMENDOUSLY!!! Just wanted to give an update as to how I had to navigate...

- Open finder and Select your "username folder” - MY FINDER DOESN'T AUTOMATICALLY GIVE ME THIS OPTION.

User uploaded file

WHAT I HAD TO DO IS THIS (SORRY FOR ALL THE IMAGE FILES BUT I FELT WAS THE BEST WAY TO SHOW THESE STEPS)... User uploaded file

1. Click on desktop and then click on "Go". Then I had to click on "Computer". This brought up the finder window I needed - not sure why I blacked out some of it, lol.

User uploaded file

2. After selecting the option that is your hard drive (you can see I named mine VintageUgly HD) you then should have something that resembles this screen.

User uploaded file

3. Click "Users" and then select the proper user... Mine was my name and has a house icon.

User uploaded file

4. Open the "Movies" folder

User uploaded file

5. For me, when I did this, I got this screen which is different than the other instructions - |Find the file “iMovie Library.imovielibrary” - this was not a file that was available to choose.

5.1 - What I had to do ( I use a right-clicking mouse, mind you) - right-click on the 'iMovies Library' folder, and choose 'Show package contents'!

User uploaded file

5.2 - This opened up the folder that was explained in the other instructions "- Find and Select folder “_Trash”

User uploaded file

6. When I opened up that file, I saw tons of movies that I had thought were previously deleted - but WERE NOT! I was able to clear 75gigs by then dragging and dropping all of them into the normal trash bin!!!!

I hope this has helped anyone with a Mac like me where the menu's are as cut and dry as others!!!

No empty trash option in iMovie v10 Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.