Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios (7.0.3 ipad) update file size discrepancy ?

Hi All,

I am perplexed as to why on my ipad (images below) ios 7.0.3 (ipad) update = 65.3mb - although itunes dl's manager says 1.15gb ! (same size of ios 7.0) What's the discrepancy I have noticed that this occurrence is consistent for each of the updates that have been released after ios 7.0 - what am i missing 😕

Many thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

User uploaded file

iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular (MM), iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 3:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 5:07 AM

There can be the difference between the 'zipped' download file (doubt they use winzip but I do think the file is compressed for download then extracted on your device) and the expanded file. Also if a person does their update over the air they get a smaller file than if they do the update via iTunes. I do mine via iTunes and I get the whole operating system file, not just the changed parts.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2013 5:07 AM in response to f1addict

There can be the difference between the 'zipped' download file (doubt they use winzip but I do think the file is compressed for download then extracted on your device) and the expanded file. Also if a person does their update over the air they get a smaller file than if they do the update via iTunes. I do mine via iTunes and I get the whole operating system file, not just the changed parts.

Oct 31, 2013 1:07 AM in response to Skydiver119

Hi Skydiver119,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Yes I imagine that the apple 'oompa-loompas' do compress the ipsw file as much as possible, to ease the dl waiting pain. Although, I dont think that this is the actual solution that nails it for me...

Even http://www.ipswdownloader.com.../11B511_Restore.ipsw are a bloated 1.5Gb in size !!

...*dreads going to the blue T shirt shop*.

Thanks again...

ios (7.0.3 ipad) update file size discrepancy ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.