Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleID without credit card associated with it

i have a computer associated with an AppleID. I can log into the app store but it insists I verfiy my account and then refuses to download Mavericks because I do not fill in credit card information even when then the heading on the page says "if you choose to give your credi card information … " impying that it is optional. Is this normal? Is there any way around this?

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 3:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 8:11 AM

Pick the None option;

User uploaded file

13 replies

Nov 25, 2014 8:21 PM in response to grudeva

I've got same problem with brand-new mac mini - I have an applied already, but it won't allow me to update 'free' w/o credit card info. I don't want stored card info - and I shouldn't have to give one to get 'free' update.

I've been to the app store page a number of times, but I don't get 'none' option button.

Is there another way of doing this?

Some suggest setting up another ID ... seems crazy to me.

Nov 26, 2014 8:10 AM in response to Dah•veed

Dahveed - Thanks for response, but it doesn't really address the challenges many of us have.

I finally found a page that discusses the many problems one may encounter - see

Why can’t I select None when I edit my Apple ID payment information?

You might not be able to see or select the None payment option for one of these reasons.

@

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203905

The point being that having to create an iTunes account is just one more huge hassle ... Given that the 'none' option is available when first signing up, it should continue to be an option without having to go thru all these work-arounds ... which may not work either, as the support link suggests.

Why Apple would make 'free' apps needing to enter some kind of payment option is ... absurd, outrageous ... take your pick ...

Nov 26, 2014 8:32 AM in response to MAALAN

... well, having reviewed the Pages 5.5.1 'update' I'm going to save myself any further hassle, and get a 'free' app like Libre or Open!

Looks like Pages isn't worth dealing with, even with upgrade.

FYI/FWIW - I'm just saying 'no' to this kind of round around with having to enter 'pay' info for 'free' app.

Nov 26, 2014 10:48 AM in response to Dah•veed

Hmm ... Just because it works for some doesn't mean it works for others - the various situations in which this problem arises are myriad - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I can't imagine that anyone could possibly determine that 'no one' has had problem ... especially given the evidence provided by many, many posts & comments using many different queries that I found when researching this question.

Apple itself acknowledges that one ''must' first enter payment information when 1st using iTunes or Mac app if you already have an account, as my previous post linked - you 'must' enter payment info.

If you're using the iTunes Store or App Store for the first time

If you're using the store for the first time with an existing Apple ID, you must provide a payment method. After you create the account, you can change your payment information to None.

Nov 26, 2014 7:16 PM in response to Dah•veed

FWIW - the official Apple support page for my particular issue was 'Last Modified: Nov 11, 2014' - just 15 days ago. Whatever may have been true for you & others in the past - the official word from those who create, develop, and maintain the appleID system is you -now- 'must' enter payment information in the circumstances I find myself in - brand-new mini, software update for pages 5.5.1, already had appleID but never used iTunes or Mac AppStore, and because Pages is registered to my already existing appleID, can't use another ID. I've tried it many times from many different angles, including the suggested approach you & others apparently have used ... but from my own experience & the official word from Apple is that they require the particular steps outlined in their support page.

If the workaround from the past works for some great - just hasn't worked for me, and again, given the many other questions, comments, and references on many other blogs, fora, and threads, as well as the most recent official word from Apple, seems I'm not the only one ...

Of course, if anyone can verify that the work-around still works in those circumstances - again, new Mac, Pages 5.5.1 update, existing ID used to purchase Mac & software bundle, and never used iTunes or AppStore before, I'd be glad to know, and happy to use the work-around. Til then ...

'Nuff said (full stop) 😀

AppleID without credit card associated with it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.