Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no media sound on iPhone 4 after 7.0.3

I too have no media sound on my iPhone 4 after 7.0.3 upgrade:

I know the speaker works- i can hear sound from it on speakerphone, voicemail, and voice memo apps

• However, using any of the following, I get no sound (and hitting the volume buttons on the side simply brings up ringer volume - not app volume)
    • quicktime videos (internet based and on my phone)
    • netflix
    • garageband
    • quicktime
  • i have unsuccessfully tried the following fixes:
    • locked / unlocked the "side buttons" control volume
    • performed a settings > general > reset
    • a button reset (holding home and power buttons)
    • performed a complete reinstall of ios and restored my phone

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 4:08 AM

7 replies

Oct 28, 2013 10:06 PM in response to MattPD

Same here on the iPhone 5.

Siri is mute; the speakerphone is dead. Music only works on earbuds. Phone/text/email alerts only work on vibrate as external speaker is dead. Calls work on bluetooth and the old 'phone-to-the-head' method, but anything that uses the external speakers is gone.

Resetting didn't work.

Restarting didn't work.

Backup - wipe - resore didn't work.

Hammer is in the garage, so that fix will have to wait.

Has anyone gotten something that will really fix this new bug from the update to fix the old bugs?

Oct 30, 2013 7:11 PM in response to MattPD

I too have the same problem on a 4s. I tried everything and the only thing that worked was a complete restore. My external speaker was working for sound. I then went about changing all my settings and apps back and when I was done the speaker would no longer work. When playing music in any app for speaker choices I can't even pick iPhone, the only options are dock connector or Apple TV.

Oct 30, 2013 7:35 PM in response to TTU 02

I managed to fix this…for now at least. I plugged in the phone to the charger connected to the wall. Started music and brought up the output options which at the time were external dock and Apple TV. I chose Apple TV and then did a hard restart on the phone. When it came back on my output choices were back to iPhone and Apple TV. I haven't plugged this back in to my dock since I fixed it and don't plan to try it.

Nov 11, 2013 1:56 PM in response to MattPD

I had this problem since the 7.0.3 update. I searched everywhere and nothing, the solutions gived were not working in my case. So, i did a lot of tests and tried everything. One single trick seemed to be working, but it's not a permanent solution, unfortunately.

1. You must go and deactivate Siri.

2. Restart the iPhone / iPad.

3. After restart, go and activate Siri.

4. Lock the iPhone / iPad.

5. Bring Siri and ask her / him a question (if you are hearing the "beep" from Siri and it will answer to you, you are good, if not, try to repet the process again).

⚠ Again, this is not a permanent solution, sometimes lasts 3 days, sometimes one day.

I do not know yet why is this happening, but it's not related to applications (in my case).

Waiting for the next update to resolve this.

no media sound on iPhone 4 after 7.0.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.