Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX 10.9, Update to Mavericks creates conflict between USB devices — Logitech mouse and old Apple Pro Keyboard

I recently upgraded my Macbook Pro to Mavericks 10.9. I love the update. Great OS, as usual. However, I seem to have stumbled upon a strange anomaly. I have a third party Logitech mouse and an antiquated Apple Pro Keyboard -- model# M7803.

At what appears to be spontaneous intervals, the keyboard stops functioning normally and the buttons on the USB mouse are adversely affected. These two usb devices seem to be in conflict somehow. It forces the right mouse button when either button is engaged, regardless of what button you pressed -- right or left. If I left click the right click menu emerges. If I right click, it right clicks.

Scroll wheel does not appear affected. Scroll button has no effect. Keyboard buttons simply triggers the default "bump” sound -- if that makes sense. This is anonying because you can't get rid of the menu. No matter where you click or what you press, it thinks you're right clicking. This only happens when using the Apple Pro Keyboard. No other keyboard in my collection triggers this reaction. PS: I’m not sure how to recreate this problem exactly. Just click around, type some stuff. Wait a few minutes and it just happens. I really miss using old keyboard. Is this a bug or it just my old equipment? Is anyone else having similar issues?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 3:46 AM

3 replies

Dec 11, 2013 11:02 AM in response to sanoski666

I have a similar problem. I've got two mice, one is a Logitech Wheel Mouse, the other a Mad Catz Rat 5. Both worked well with 10.6 (yes, I skipped 10.7).

After the update to Mavericks, however, the Rat has turned completely useless: tool-tips keep hanging around, drag operations don't draw the dragged object, and in some applications like Logic, clicks don't work at all. I'm using the standard mouse driver, I didn't install a specialized driver by Mad Catz. (This should work fine since a mouse is just a HI device. I can't use the special buttons of the mouse this way, of course, but I don't care.)

On the other hand, the Logitech mouse apparently works fine, but right-clicks often go astray, meaning they're "eaten" by the system and don't do anything at all, or a context menu shows and immediately goes away. I first thought the mouse button might be defective, so I tested the mouse on a PC, which turned out it works fine, no problem here.

I'm experiencing other strange bugs since the update and am really looking forward for a major update by Apple...

OSX 10.9, Update to Mavericks creates conflict between USB devices — Logitech mouse and old Apple Pro Keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.