Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung SCX-4521F printing and scanning with OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Hi,

i plan to upgrade from 10.6. to 10.9 and i have a SCX-4521 (F) printer/scanner which i use very frequently. According to Samsungs product homepage there are printer and scanner drivers for 10.8 Mointain Lion but not (yet) for 10.9 Mavericks. Can anybody confirm (or negate) that Samsung SCX-4521 printing AND scanning is working with 10.9 Mavericks? Or more general: It is likely that 10.8 drivers will work also with 10.9 ?

Thanks in advance

Hendrik

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 7:55 AM

In the absence of a confirming statement from the vendor (and unless you get lucky with somebody else around here that has this particular mult-function printer), you can install Mavericks on an external USB disk (either a fresh install, or clone your current boot disk and upgrade that), boot that external disk, and test.

There are obviously a gazillion other models of multi-function devices around, so there are alternatives if Samsung doesn't update support for this printer.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2013 7:55 AM in response to jeremi66

In the absence of a confirming statement from the vendor (and unless you get lucky with somebody else around here that has this particular mult-function printer), you can install Mavericks on an external USB disk (either a fresh install, or clone your current boot disk and upgrade that), boot that external disk, and test.

There are obviously a gazillion other models of multi-function devices around, so there are alternatives if Samsung doesn't update support for this printer.

Feb 12, 2014 3:39 PM in response to jeremi66

The issue with all of these scanners and multi function printers, as far as i can tell, isn't the scanners themselves, but their software. My HP photosmart stopped scanning....well it would scan, and appear to be working, but when I would open the image I and scanned and saved, it wouldn't be there. I went to HP, and learned: they had no update. Guy at apple told me: if they hadn't updated by now, they probably wouldn't. APple told me THREE way to use apple software to scan, and in fact, I've tried them, and they all "work". All are incredibly inferior to my HP scanning software.
So: I bought vue scan. It works, but althoguh it's better than using apple system software, it's way inferio to wha tI'm used to.
And there doesn't seem to be a solution.
Seems ridiculous to me.

Feb 12, 2014 5:47 PM in response to F7b5

FWIW...

Many of the lower-end printing and scanning devices — devices priced and sold below what used to be known as the "departmental-class" devices — are probably considered disposable devices, and software support will usually be limited to the lifetime of the device itself on the market and limited to working with what operating systems are current during that time, and software upgrades after the product has been retired generally won't be available.

If you want to select a device that will probably work for somewhat longer than than that, look for a device that doesn't particularly need host support software. That's probably going to be more difficult to locate, might be more expensive, and you'll want to look for devices with — for instance — native TWAIN support, or that can transfer the files to the host via SMTP or maybe FTP. For printing, native PCL or Postscript or (a good) Postscript emulation can help here, too.

Devices that need drivers tend to be more transitory in their support. Some printers have gone as far as having host-based rendering — which makes for a cheaper device — but it means you have to have device-specific software to get those to work.

Samsung SCX-4521F printing and scanning with OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.