Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-fi remembering after sleeping with turned-on bluetooth

Hi Guys!

I found really weird issue for my Macbook Air 13" 2012.

Currently i'm on Mavericks, but not sure - is it Mavaricks's problem or my Air - when bluetooth is on and i close Air, after waking-up laptop doesn't connect to my Wifi network. Macbook sees my network but doesn't "remember" it.

But when bluetooth is off - it's ok. Laptop remember wifi and connects in one moment.

Maybe anybody has or had same problem.

Thanks!

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 5:14 AM

12 replies

Nov 10, 2013 11:27 PM in response to yaroslavk

Hi

Been following these discussion regarding mavericks and wifi dropping.

I also had a late 2013 MBP with mavericks preinstalled and everything reinstalled by me by hand (first time ever since the early days of pre OSX with OS6 as always migrated stuff over).

So when wifi started hanging on wake up from sleep I was both peed off after all the handwork and stymied.

So thanks to you all on the forums for offering clues.
These led me to figure out the issue was a conflict between Bluetooth and Wifi.

- Helpful pointers included getting iStumbler to examine network setups.
- Holding down alt key when choosing Wifi menubar icon to examine whether 2.4 or 5ghz channels (potential conflict twixt BT and Wifi competing on 2.4ghz?).

- Looking at the router I was using in terms of network protocol b, g, n, etc.

This led me to realise that the router I was using was an old Sky one with only b and g protocol.

I also had an apple equipment based (base unit and two express extenders) network running the more modern n protocol which was ethernet linked to the Sky router.

I had stopped using it a year previously as it would only pick up 2Mbs speed, compared to 8Mbs for the Sky, and gave up breaking my head as to why.

However on reading comments that referred to a router being the culprit I switched over to the Apple network (ethernet linked to the Sky router) rather than the Sky router only based network and hey presto.

Problem solved.

It seems all is good, no issues whatsover with Wifi dropping on wakeup or during use AND I am getting great speeds (10Mbs+) from the Apple based network, ethernet linked to the Sky router (dont ask why now).

A further note relates back to a historical parallel on my 2010 MBP with Wifi issues which turned out to be the Transmit menu bar icon. That seemed to have been resolved eventually, thanks to forums gathering options.

So when the similar issue arose with Mavericks my memory of this was triggered and I unchecked the Transmit menubar icon, but havent rechecked and rechecked it now I have Bluetooth and Wifi.

Will do after a few days of running the above BT/Wifi solution will post only if it affects the Wifi wakeup use problem.

So many thanks for all the angles and happy hunting for those still adrift with the Wifi dropoff issue.

Apr 1, 2014 8:20 AM in response to yaroslavk

words cannot describe how angry this problem makes me. how can world's largest tech company not been able to fix their biggest bug for this many months now?!?!

all these forums are overflowing with the same **** problem: WIFI DOESN'T CONNECT AFTER COMING BACK FROM SLEEP ON MAVERICKS.

how many thousands of people have to post the same godddamn problem for how long?

and no, disconnecting Bluetooth doesn't help. I took it the Apple store twice already and they cannot help either.

aaaAAAAaAaaAAaaarrrrghhh, I'm going to go insane from this problem.

I miss Steve.. he wouldn't let something like this go on for this long. Can a half a trillion dollar company pay attention to its own support forums or at least google wifi-not-connecting-after-sleep-mavericks, and realize what incompetent company you have become?!

Apr 6, 2014 7:50 PM in response to yaroslavk

Tried turning off bluetooth and it works. But as soon as I reenable, the wifi loses the internet yet its still connected.

Here's a easy solution that I use, but doesnt remedy the root problem, follow the preceding steps about 2 times and then it works on the 2nd pass;

• Toogle the wifi off and then on
  • Then manually select the network you desire to join.
  • The computer thinks and is slower than it should but it will either connect (2nd attempt), or stall out even longer and then give you a error message (first attempt, try again)

• Good luck fellows, hopefully there will be a fix soon. And I only started noticing the problem about 3/4 months ago?

Wi-fi remembering after sleeping with turned-on bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.