Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Java broken under Mavericks

I'm on a Mac with OS X Mavericks and Java 7u45. after installing Mavericks you must install JAVA from JAVA.com and the most recent Apple JAVA update (Java For OSX 2013-05), which I did.)

In Java Control Panel > Security, the Security Level "slider" is grayed-out (can't change it, it's set at 'High') and the 'Enable Java content in browser' check-box will not retain a check-mark. So I can't change either of these two settings. This happens as a 'Standard User' with Authentication or logged-in as an 'Administrator'.

I've uninstalled JAVA, reinstalled JAVA, repaired permissions, restarted, etc.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 6:35 AM

26 replies

Oct 28, 2013 6:45 PM in response to kp2813

I have a solution that has worked on 2 macs-an iMac and a macbook pro-both that were upgraded to mavericks. I got the help of a very smart person. his diagnosis was that there was interaction between Java 6 and 7 that was not a problem with 10.8.5 but having both is a problem with mavericks. my guess is that you previously installed Java 7 on top of Java 6, which was true for me.

so, we eliminated all java files we could find, uninstalled Java 7, rebooted, flushed caches and reinstalled Java 7.

here are the specific steps:

-- /library/preferencepanes there is a file called "JavaControlPanel.prefPane" move that to trash

--/library/ move the Java folder to the trash

--/library/ move the Oracle folder to the trash

--uninstall JRE 7.45

you can do this by finding "JavaAppletPlugin.plugin" and moving it to the trash. that file is in /library/internet plug-ins. described here:

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/mac_uninstall_java.xml

--restarted and booted in safe mode (hold down the shift key during restart)

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1564

--once safe boot was finished I logged back in and installed JRE-7u45

at that point the Java control panel was back to working normally. You can adjust the security slider and the "enable Java content in the browser" will be checked.

I do not know whether all these steps are required. I do know that this procedure has restored Java 7 functionality to my machines.

hopefully Oracle will release a revised Java 7 that removes the offending files as part of its installation.

if you follow these steps, let me know the outcome.

good luck!

pete

Nov 2, 2013 11:39 AM in response to FNAL

I assume you are getting the missing plugin message in your browser? If so, you need to go into the Java control panel and click on the security tab. In the upper left you will see a checkbox that says something like "enable java in the browser." Click apply and then authenticate. Restart browser. Should work after that.

Jan 6, 2014 3:19 PM in response to Peter Rock

Peter,

Yours is the closest thing I've seen to a solution. It worked for a short time last night, and then everything mysteriously reverted to the old problem. In System Preferences, there's a Java control panel, it tries to open, and then closes, and the Safari page I'm trying to use (connecting to my company) won't function.

Any further clues?

Thanks for getting me this far!

Tony

Jan 6, 2014 3:42 PM in response to ZenFlyer100

Hi Tony-

I do not have any further clues. In fact, I continue to struggle with a JAVA problem. I have an application that behaves as if JAVA is not installed on my machine when in fact JAVA is installed. The part I cannot explain is that other JAVA applications work fine on this same machine. It is as if some JAVA applications don't recognize when JAVA is installed.

I wish I could help more.

Peter Rock

Jan 10, 2014 8:15 AM in response to Peter Rock

Peter, et al:

A new twist, just for the sake of information:

I have a 2008 Mac Pro, running two diaplays. I was able to fix the java problem using Peter's method while running both displays, un-mirrored (total fluke, not with intention). When I mirrored the diaplsys, I immetiately got a message in the Safari window that was running Java that said "plug-in failure". When I took it out of mirror mode, I was able again to connect to my company using Java.

This is so far above my knowledge level that I won't even try to figure it out. When I need to use Java, I'll do it in multi-display mode. Maybe this might help smarter heads than me...?

Information only...

Tony

Jan 10, 2014 11:35 AM in response to ZenFlyer100

Hi Tony-

what a great observation! this may have solved a problem for me. here's my deal. I have an imac and a macbook. both set up identically. both had the JAVA fix I published above. however, they behave differently with respect to JAVA. the macbook can run a JAVA program that the imac cannot. the imac responds with a dialogue box saying I need to install JAVA 6 when I attempt to run that program. the macbook runs just fine.

after reading your post I realized that the imac is set up to mirror but I might have mirroring tuned off. So, I am going to see if by turning on mirroring I can get the JAVA program to run.

why this would impact a JAVA program I do not know but the error message you get and the similarities in set up make me think I have experienced the situation that you have.

thanks for writing back.

Pete

Jan 16, 2014 5:18 PM in response to Peter Rock

Peter,

Here is the report:

java version "1.6.0_65"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-462-11M4609)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-462, mixed mode)

Anthonys-Mac-Pro:JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

It's the same in either "mirrored" mode, one monitor, or with multiple monitors. However, the Java test only verifies in multiple-display mode, not "mirrored".

Odd...

Tony

Jan 16, 2014 9:58 PM in response to Peter Rock

Here's another thing to try (taken from http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1661810)

"...also deleted the folders /Library/Application Support/Oracle and ~/Library/Application Support/Oracle and it works now."

I did this and then installed the Java 7 from Oracle (also found on java.com) and it finally worked for me using Safari (still nothing in Firefox).

Java broken under Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.