Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10 - Video rendering error: -50

Dear all,

I just updated my Mac Book Pro with Maverick and new iLife.

Now when I do share file, I get everytime everytime "video rendering error: -50".

This happens on different projects with different lenght.

These are simple projects combining frames imported from an external camera without any effects, text or audio,

Until few days ago using exactly same procedure with old iMovie i never face any problem.

The only difference is that in old iMovie i was able to set video format 4:3 but in new iMovie i'm not able to finde this option.

Is anybody facing same problem?

Is it possible to select video format in 4:3?

Thanks

OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 6:54 AM

11 replies

Oct 27, 2013 1:50 PM in response to Ceres72

I re created the project from scratch. I did a repair on the disk hoping that would fix it. I tried to output to an attached disk. No success in "sharing" in ANY mode. This is killiing productivity with my church videos. Many shut-ins look for this output and since "upgrading" I can't get this to putput video. Guess I will have to use Movie Maker on a PC. Ironic. I shifted to Apple years ago because I could not get a PC to render video decently. I sure hope Apple fixes this mess quickly. It was bad enough putting together the video with the new interface, then after figuring that out I get nothing but frustration trying to get my video out there for the folks. Glad to see others with the same problem, only in that with attention from a lot of people maybe Apple will get right on this.

Sign me -

ever hopeful.

Nov 3, 2013 6:54 PM in response to Ceres72

i have same prob with this error 50

and its a real drag im over it cant save to my laptop

or to utoube really over it whats apple doing to fix the error !!!!! asap why chage it when the old one works better then the new one !!!!!

if it works leave it hey !!!!!!

Nov 3, 2013 8:21 PM in response to Ceres72

It appears to be a matter of time, whereas in the previous version you would have a dialog box and time update bar as it imported the video. It now processes with a little blue circle showing progress, however, even when that is complete, I am unable to export anything until the next day (1 hour training video). I was then able to upload to Vimeo. I see plenty to complain about in this "upgrade" and nothing yet to say it was worthwhile to do it. It is amazingly slower to work with. Audio skimming is terrible - doesn't work, works, doesn't work. Appears that it is catching up in the background but there is no indicator of any kind to let me know what it is working on, just a lot of drive thrashing. I have always enjoyed the upgrades to iMovie, this one is NO improvement. I have been submitting feedback, who knows if it will help. iMovie has always been adequate for my tasks and many times surprised me with its capabilities. Not this time.

Nov 5, 2013 6:15 AM in response to Ceres72

Even, I had the same issue "Video Rendering Error : -60/-50) on sharing movies.

To fix this issue . Create a new project and copy all the media (video clips,photos,audio etc) from the old project. You can easily copy all the contents from the old project from the Menu->Edit->Select All , followed by copy and paste to the new project. Subsequent sharing to Itunes/File etc works perfectly fine.

If imovie crashes/ or is killed during a previous share, it corrupts the imovie database.

Don't force quit imovie, while exporting movie . The new version of imovie is probably running background tasks to create/render the movie . You can always check the status of your movie export by clicking the circular progress bar on the top right corner of the app.

I found copy the contents from the previous project to a new project to be easier that re-creating the entire imovie database. (The old corrupted project can be subsequently deleted)

Nov 9, 2013 2:38 PM in response to Ceres72

I had the same problem and here's houw I solved it. Seems something was corrupted in the file, but wasn't clear where and what. Created a "file" from my project via Menu->File->Share->File. It built the movie, but stopped at the corrupted element (in this case it was either a picture or a transition, wasn't clear which one). I played the created file and jumped to the end where I saw the last good element. I deleted picture (and transition) right after, and re-added them. Re-compiled the movie and it worked perfectly.

Aug 3, 2014 7:48 PM in response to Ceres72

I am getting this error on a brand new project. It is a simple 8 min MOV file imported from an iPhone 4S. I have no transitions, no themes or any other customizations to the MOV file. I simply go to File Share File and attempt to render the file and I get this error. It happens at different places in the file, so I don't think anything is wrong with the file. I did not have this problem with the older version of iMovie, so I really hope Apple fixes this soon.

Oct 13, 2014 2:18 AM in response to Ceres72

I've just stumbled across this thread. I'd been trying to render a 1 hour wedding video, which had previously worked, but applying a couple of tweaks and adjustments, it suddenly and continuously failed on export, no matter the settings with error rendering error 60.

I used a combination of the above to find the best solution (find the point of error and correct without messing up any timings, edits, etc). Steps detailed below.

1. Share the video to a file. It will fail at the point where the video is corrupt. Go to the movie file, play the movie in Quicktime, skip to the end and you will see the point where the rendering stopped. Thank you jguttenbergfor this method of finding the error.
  2. You can quit Quicktime and trash the movie file at this point.
  3. Go back to iMovie, find the clip just before the point where the rendering failed and the video stops.
  4. Select it in the timeline, then right click on it and press "Reveal in Event"
  5. iMovie will show you the exact selection in your video library.
  6. Take this selection and drag it over the top of the existing clip in the timeline.
  7. A menu will pop up after a moment asking you what you want to do. Choose "Replace".
  8. Make any adjustments to the clip - effects, volume, etc that you had previously made.
  9. You can now re-try the render. If no other clips are broken, the video will render. If further clips are broken, you'll need to repeat the steps above.

Of course, if there aren't too many clips, you could replace all of them after the point of failure by following the above steps for each one, thus ensuring a complete render on the first re-try.

Peter

iMovie 10 - Video rendering error: -50

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.