Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10.0 not sharing

iMovie 10.0 does not share my movies, not to iTunes, not to file, not to e-mail.

No idea what I am doing wrong. I get a share panel, the movie appears in the panel,

with a suggested title and a description, I click share or choose a file name and click save,

and then nothing happens. No progress indicator, no file, nothing in iTunes. No error message either.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Model late 2009

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 7:41 AM

17 replies

Oct 29, 2013 2:53 PM in response to judysings

Thanks Judy,

But I know now that I was doing everything correctly, because now it works. However last sunday about 10-20 attempts failed without any feedback. No blue progress circle appearing. Meanwhile iMovie was doing some background jobs and I decided to let it run overnight. On monday morning I found one of the 10-20 files I had attempted to "share" on my desktop. I had appeared there at 9 am. After that, sharing still failed once more, but now it finally seems to be working.

But there is definitely something wrong here. And I also don't understand why iMovie is rendering all my movies in two or three different resolutions for "Theater", without asking me anything (I would have said no). These were

of course the background jobs that have been running for a total of about 24 hours. My guess is that perhaps the batch queue was full because of these jobs, and that's why my share attempts failed. But that would be a terrible way to communicate with the user. I can't find anything about this in the links in your message.

Oct 31, 2013 5:06 AM in response to andrejord

If it is the same problem, there will be background jobs running called TranscoderTool_sb or something like that, as well as iMovie itself (see Activity Monitor). Once those have finished, you should be able to share. Depending on the size of your library this can take hours or days...

But if this true, then it also implies that you have an existing library and hence an older version of iMovie. So do the urgent things with the old version. Of course, if you have already invested a lot of time in e new project with the new version, this will not help.

Nov 28, 2013 10:39 AM in response to Adrian_S

If you wish to share (export) files from iMovie 10, this is what I have discovered:

1. Reading the basic documentation is helpful ... (As per Judysings) I found something "new to me". Namely, once a movie project is "in" your "Theatre" you can just 'drag and drop' the rendered movie file somewhere else, eg as an .mp4 file onto a USB. However, there remains a mystery about what quality of file gets duplicated to your USB. See Note A below.

iMovie Help: Share to iMovie Theater

http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.0/#mov3b2b964a8

2. When you share a Project to Theatre a "mysterious set of processes" (should) begin. Your Project begins transcoding into several playable movie files (.mp4 format). (a) You know this (background) process is going correctly when you see:

• A notification and task progress bar line beneath your Project in the "Theatre" window of your iMovie. The notification says: Creating Movie.
  • The "Activity" circle, top right of screen appears, and slowly turns from an annulus to a filled circle. Click on the Activity circle. It will show you what the CURRENT task is doing, and an expected time of completion. You should note (hope) that time-to-complete decreases as you return to examine this.
  • If all is going correctly, your CPU processors will be cooking. In your Activity Monitor you I see ProTranscoderTool_sb using approx 300 % of my CPU (i have a 4-core iMac). Furthermore, I see iMovie using 40 % of CPU, and a steady load on the processors of about 83 %. These figures suggest you should leave your computer alone and go away to New Zealand for a cup of Hobbit tea! (I am in NZ already, so I'll go to Mordor). My computer's fan starts up and the top of the screen gets warm enough to fry eggs.

3. The "mysterious set of processes" in (2) produces, in sequence ,three .mp4 files from your Theatre Project, Moderate quality (?), Better quality, Best Quality. Where these three files live on my iMac is a mystery. The command: Reveal in Finder is not active for the Theatre project. (Why not?)

4. You can ... easily ... upset all these background processes, which you should AVOID! What seems to happen is that the background processes stall/halt/cease/desist/suspend all existence due to getting unhappy about something you might have done.. For example, I found that importing new video footage from a DV camera SEEMED to stall a File Export process I had going in the background.

5. You know your background processes have halted/failed/stalled (perhaps irretrievably?) when (See Step 2):

• The Activity circle stops its countdown, but LIES that it is still doing work (ie the time estimate to task completion fails to decrement; the bar graph beneath the project in Theatre fails to advance, and, more obviously:
  • The ProTranscoder no longer uses your CPU.

5. So, what to do when background tasks seem stalled? ... my suggestions.

6. Cancel background processes by clicking on the X besides the Activity circle notification. (The X may not be there for all background processes)

7. Quit iMovie. iMovie will warn you that background processes will terminate. Stop. Look. Listen. Then Quit iMovie.

8. Restart iMovie

Wait to observe if other background tasks in the Activity circle initiate. Decide whether to wait or cancel, depending on whether they appear to be concluding usefully, as per (2). Possibly return to Step 6 and 7.

9. Find your project in the Theatre. Wait a while and see if the processes in (2) begin automatically.

10. If your Project does not appear in the Theatre:

• Find your project in the Library.
  • Share the project to the Theatre
  • Check that the activities in (2) are restarting.

11. I suspect part of our problems are to do with not understanding the brilliance of the new iMovie 10 interface, and being a bit impatient. See Step 1 above! When all else fails, read the documentation. 🙂

12. My suggestion to Apple is that the Activity circle:

Shows a list of ALL tasks queued up for processing.... Because I discovered its EASY to accidentally create a heap of background tasks, because you think nothing is happening!

13. Maybe there are some bugs in iMovie that cause iMovie fail to restart background tasks after compute-intensive foreground tasks such as:

- Importing new video from a DV camera. (Just a suspicion)

- Too many background tasks

14. Note A: Quality of files 'dragged and dropped' from Theatre.

Once a movie project is "in" your "Theatre" you can just 'drag and drop' the rendered movie file somewhere else, e.g. as an .mp4 file onto a USB. However, there remains a mystery to me about what quality of file gets duplicated to your USB.

I would expect that the file that gets dragged to your USB is the highest resolution version in your Theatre. However, when I tested this proposition by explicitly exporting a file (using SHARE/File), HD I got a LARGER (doubled) file size, due to a doubled data rate (from 5 mb/s to 11 Mb/s). Same dimensions, and same frame rate (fps).

15. Note B: File size on a USB formatted to FAT32 will crash iMovie file export.

If your USB is formatted to, say MS-DOS FAT32, then the maximum file size you can export is a micro-squidgen over 4 Gb. About 1 hour of Better Quality MP4. iMovie Share/File will quite unceremoniosly once you hit the FAT 32 limit. In my case, the limit was about 4.2 Gb.

Suggestion: it might be better to let iMovie export the Project to Theatre, then drag and drop the file thereby created to the USB. If the file is too large, you can SHARE/File specifiying the target file size you require, sacrificing quality if needed. Else, go back to your source Project and split into smaller sections.

Nov 28, 2013 11:09 AM in response to MyndSurfers

Just a comment on this:

"Where these three files live on my iMac is a mystery."

I am using a different mac right now, so I cannot check directly, but I have found all these movie files on the computer where the conversion was taking place.

They were somewhere in a subdirectory of Movies, perhaps called "Theatre" or something. It is possible that you have to use "Show package content" to get into that directory. I found existing movies that apparently had simply been moved, and new conversions with awful names. But they are all there. Apparently I have given iMovie permission to do all these conversions when I answered "Yes" to the question "Do you want to convert your movies".

But I certainly would never want to convert all my old projects. I already have them as movies on another disk. But the worst part was that I was not getting any feedback on what was happening. I did not get to see this "Activity circle" for 24 hours or so. I saw all these background processes, blocking my computer, and I had initially no idea what they were doing. Any attempt at converting something new failed without any feedback. Maybe the queue was too long, who knows?

I think they idea of converting in the background is a great improvement, but then please, iMovie, let me know what is going on. Or is Apple assuming that the average user cannot understand the concept of queues, and is therefore not giving any information?

Dec 2, 2013 10:36 AM in response to Adrian_S

With reference to:....

13. Maybe there are some bugs in iMovie that cause iMovie fail to restart background tasks after compute-intensive foreground tasks such as:

- Importing new video from a DV camera. (Just a suspicion)

- Too many background tasks

A bug? I am reasonably confident that AFTER importing video from a DV camera, and then initiating a Share to Theatre instruction that NOTHING happens, despite an hour of patience. ie the background transcoding DOES NOT initiate.

Maybe one should quit iMovie before disconnecting the Firewire cable between the camera and iMac? Maybe one should turn off the video camera? I don't see any obvious instructions for safely disconnecting the camera from the iMac. I have not yet tried these steps.

Anyway, if you create, then share to Theatre a movie project immediately after importing clips from a DV camera , the following invariably happens for me:

5. You know your background processes have halted/failed/stalled (perhaps irretrievably?) when (See Step 2):

• The Activity circle stops its countdown, but LIES that it is still doing work (ie the time estimate to task completion fails to decrement; the bar graph beneath the project in Theatre fails to advance, and, more obviously:
  • The ProTranscoder no longer uses your CPU (In particular) - Use Activity Monitor CPU to check this.

I find that the transcoding process will usually automatically restart if you conduct this process:

7. Quit iMovie. iMovie will WARN you that background processes will terminate. Stop. Look. Listen. Then Quit iMovie.

8. Restart iMovie

Wait to observe if other background tasks in the Activity circle initiate. Decide whether to wait or cancel, depending on whether they appear to be concluding usefully, as per (2). Possibly return to Step 6 and 7.

If you are fortunate, iMovie will reinitiate the transcoding process, and you should see the following:

2. When you share a Project to Theatre a "mysterious set of processes" (should) begin. Your Project begins transcoding into several playable movie files (.mp4 format). You know this (background) process is going correctly when you see:

• A notification and task progress bar line beneath your Project in the "Theatre" window of your iMovie. The notification says: Creating Movie.
  • The "Activity" circle, top right of screen appears, and slowly turns from an annulus to a filled circle. Click on the Activity circle. It will show you what the CURRENT task is doing, and an expected time of completion. You should note (hope) that time-to-complete decreases as you return to examine this.
  • If all is going correctly, your CPU processors will be cooking. In your Activity Monitor you I see ProTranscoderTool_sb using approx 300 % of my CPU (i have a 4-core iMac). Furthermore, I see iMovie using 40 % of CPU, and a steady load on the processors of about 83 %.

The transcoding process creates THREE files in your Theatre ... but you can't easily find them. First, a "better quality" .mp4, then "good quality", then "best quality". Quite a sensible approach, really. See note 14 above.

Dec 2, 2013 10:44 AM in response to Adrian_S

Since my previous trials, I have now got the the following situation:

iMovie 10 fails to import succesfully video from my DV camera.

I have plenty of disk space.

I have attempted to import the video several times.

iMovie goes through allthe "moves" of importing the video, saying the DV has reached the end of tape and imported succesfully.

But ... Nevertheless, the import thumbnails do not appear.

When I quit iMovie it says there is a task still running. However, no Activity circle appears, and no task appear to be running according to Activity Monitor.

I have noticed on threads "More like this" the suggestion to reinstall iMovie 10. I will attempt that process. I can't find the exact link that explained the process, but here is one related link.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5508772

I recall the process was:

1. Move iMovie to Trash
  2. Empty Trash
  3. Open APP store
  4. Open "Purchased".
  5. Download iMovie.

Wish me luck!

Mar 9, 2014 4:58 PM in response to andrejord

All,

I had the same problem iMovie unable to share files as well.. The environment is iMovie 10.0.2 and OS X Maverick 10.9.2 . It was finally solved after I used Apple Support ($19/- charge ) to fix my problem. No use all paying to Apple for what seems to be a faily easy fix ..at least for my version of the problem of iMovie unable to share.

Essentionally the problem was with the permission of my Mac login ID. It must have gotten messed up with the the recent upgrade to Maverick. My login ID had the incorrect/no permission to write the files to the iTunes or specific folder in any directory.

Solution :

Rebuild the permissions of the Login ID and it worked..

Good luck User uploaded file

iMovie 10.0 not sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.