9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2013 10:25 AM by Mark Biech
Mark Biech Level 1 Level 1

I have upgraded to Mavericks ... also Pages 5.0 ... I am prepping my year end documents and when opening the docs, notice that I have to UPGRADE the document to work with this version. Once in, I see there are many features that are broken. For me, the connected text boxes are the most disturbing problem. I wanted to open the doc with Pages 4, but that is not possible. The file has been changed. I went into Time Capsule to find the older version so that I could restore it and open it with the older version of Pages, but it's been deleted from history .... really? ... my documents have been destroyed, and the history wiped out. This is why I switced from Windows. Deep breath ... is there some help out there?

MacBook
Solved by Ash435 on Oct 27, 2013 9:07 AM Solved

I just tested something that may be useful to people in this situation.

If you've mistakenly saved over an existing file in Pages 5 and can no longer open it in Pages '09, and you don't want to export it back out to '09 with missing features, try the following...

Open it in Pages 5  and go to File > Revert to > Browse all versions...

Use the time machine interface to restore the version before you opened in Pages 5.

Close the document.

I then successfully opened the same document in Pages '09. Previously it had failed to open.

Perhaps people who have lost documents can try this method and confirm whether it works. Good luck, everyone.

Reply by PeterBreis0807 on Oct 27, 2013 7:34 AM Helpful
Reply by Ash435 on Oct 27, 2013 9:26 AM Helpful

I've tried it a couple of times now, albeit with test documents I made specially. Here are the steps again...

Open it in Pages 5 and go to File > Revert to > Browse all versions...

Use the Time Machine interface to restore the version before you opened in Pages 5. You'll get a repeat of the warning about how your document is going to be messed up, but you can OK that.

Close the document.

You should now be able to open the same document in Pages '09.

All replies

• PeterBreis0807 Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.iwork
    iWork
  • Mark Biech Level 1 Level 1

Thanks ... I have posted it there ..... my eyes are widening at all the problems popping up with this update. It's disconcerting ... I will go back to using MS products for now to get through year end. I may just stay there ...

• fruhulda Level 6 Level 6

Did you try to Export > Pages09?

• Ash435 Level 2 Level 2

I just tested something that may be useful to people in this situation.

If you've mistakenly saved over an existing file in Pages 5 and can no longer open it in Pages '09, and you don't want to export it back out to '09 with missing features, try the following...

Open it in Pages 5  and go to File > Revert to > Browse all versions...

Use the time machine interface to restore the version before you opened in Pages 5.

Close the document.

I then successfully opened the same document in Pages '09. Previously it had failed to open.

Perhaps people who have lost documents can try this method and confirm whether it works. Good luck, everyone.

And for those not having Time Machine the export version is the way to go?

• PeterBreis0807 Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.iwork
    iWork

Ash I was going to post your suggestion here but you beat me. Or did you post it here first, then the other?

I hope it works consistently. Many users will want and need it.

Peter

• Ash435 Level 2 Level 2

I've tried it a couple of times now, albeit with test documents I made specially. Here are the steps again...

Open it in Pages 5 and go to File > Revert to > Browse all versions...

Use the Time Machine interface to restore the version before you opened in Pages 5. You'll get a repeat of the warning about how your document is going to be messed up, but you can OK that.

Close the document.

You should now be able to open the same document in Pages '09.

Another thought, Mark. if you didn't save it in Pages 5.0 you should still have the original version.

• Mark Biech Level 1 Level 1

Hello all ... thanks for the work around. I was able to open the file with 5.0 ... browse all versions, restore to the old version, close ... re-open with 4.x .... I have UNINSTALLED Pages 5.0 .... Does anyone one if there are the same issues with Numbers?