Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay Not Available on MacBook Pro

I have upgraded three systems to Mavericks so far, a 2008 MacBook Pro, a 2011 Mac mini, and a 2013 MacBook Air. On the Mac mini and MacBook Air I have the airplay icon on the top menu bar to use with my AppleTV. On my MacBook Pro, this icon is not there, and there is nothing in the Display Preferences. Is there a way to enable airplay on my MacBook Pro?

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 8:46 AM

12 replies

Oct 29, 2013 11:10 AM in response to MarkN

Hi MarkN,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities.

If you don't see the AirPlay icon on your MacBook Pro, try these troubleshooting steps:

iTunes: Troubleshooting AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5209

1. Verify that you are using the latest version of iTunes.
    • iTunes for Mac: Choose iTunes > Check for Updates
    • iTunes for Windows: Choose Help > Check for Updates
  2. Verify that all your AirPlay-enabled devices' software is up to date.
  3. Verify that all your AirPlay-enabled devices are connected to the same home network.
    Note: Some Wi-Fi network configurations offer a guest network that can block certain Internet services from working or seeing other devices on your home network.

If the AirPlay icon doesn’t appear in iTunes

Ensure that you followed these steps to use AirPlay in iTunes.If the AirPlay icon still doesn't appear, try one of the following steps:

• If you want to AirPlay to an Apple TV, ensure that AirPlay is enabled on the Apple TV. From the Apple TV main menu, go to Settings > AirPlay. This should be set to On.
  • If you want to AirPlay to an Airport Express, ensure that AirPlay is enabled in the device settings.
  • If you want to AirPlay to a 3rd party AirPlay-enabled device, refer to the user guide.

All the best,

Jeremy

Oct 29, 2013 11:55 AM in response to jeremy_v

Jeremy,

Thank you for the reply. This isn't an iTunes issue as I do have the airplay icon in iTunes. This is the new feature in Mavericks for multiple displays, I suppose, that allows you to stream your desktop to an AppleTV. The icon for this resides on the top menu bar usually next to the time machine icon, at least it is on my other two systems.

In System Preferences -> Displays there is an option for Airplay Display on the systems that work, and not on my MacBook Pro.

Dec 27, 2013 7:46 AM in response to MarkN

Hi MarkN,

I've been having similar problems with my MBP (2012 Retina) - i.e. no AirPlay icon at any time. I also had some network visibility issues - I was connected, but couldn't see other devices on the network. (My MBP, iTunes and Apple TV were all fully updated and I'd 'fiddled' with most user definable settings to no avail).

The solution for me came when I checked the Firewall settings in my McAfee Internet Security software. I had to unlock and adjust the internet security preferences to 'Home or Work'. After this, my AirPlay and network issues were resolved.

Not sure if this will help you, but there you go...

ZZ

Airplay Not Available on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.