Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook airplay does not fill tv screen - small border

ATV3 & 2013 MacBook Retina

When I use airplay desktop mirroring, and set to use the ATV display ratio . . .

It works, the MacBook display changes ratio to match the TV 16:9. But the ATV does not completely fill the screen. There is about a 2 inch black border all around the TV image. So my 46" TV looks like a 42" TV. When I turn off airplay, the Mac screen goes back to normal and the TV screen is full again.

Apple TV (3rd generation)

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 9:09 AM

10 replies

Nov 11, 2013 11:03 AM in response to user1724

I was having the same issue. I discovered a setting in the Apple TV Video settings.

Adjust For AirPlay Overscan

it was ON, so I switched it OFF and poof the screen is now 1080 and not compressed into a smaller area with a black border. not sure why this would be ON be default without some kind of first run question to choose the setting or something...

Dec 4, 2013 7:37 AM in response to user1724

I was having similar issues. In the end, a combination of switching HDMI ports (to the one labelled 'computer' - duh!), and Steven's suggestion to switch 'Adjust for Airplay Overscan' did it for me. Just adjusting for overscan alone or switching the port alone didn't do it. I put this out there in case this saves anyone else some time (as I've spent ages on this)!

MacBook airplay does not fill tv screen - small border

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.