8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2013 10:29 PM by Karsten Schlüter
aapl.crox Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have a video that is broken into two files (the memory card had a 4gb file limit so it has two files under that size). I imported the two of them into FCPX no problem but I want to treat the both of them as one clip in the event browser. Is there a way to do this?

• Tom Wolsky Level 10 Level 10 (111,125 points)

You can make them into a compound clip, but you really need to tell us what the media specifications are and how you imported them. Most camera formats will combine the tagged clips into a continuous file.

• aapl.crox Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

It's the gopro hero3 camera. I guess on FAT sd cards. I imported it by selecting all the files when reading the SD card and import into an event. How do I get you the other specifications?

• Tom Wolsky Level 10 Level 10 (111,125 points)

Use the reveal in Finder function. Open the clip in the QuickTime player and report what it says in the movie inspector.

• Karsten Schlüter Level 7 Level 7 (31,275 points)

aapl.crox wrote:

…  but I want to treat the both of them as one clip in the event browser. …

… for what purpose?

• both are in the same Event

• both are from same cam

• both have the same time-stamp

… if your looking/searching fo this 'video', FCPX will find both. You can apply tags & keywords to both… 

So, why 'merging' them? They ARE merged… how they are stored on some drive, doesn't matter, in 2 pieces, or 54.222 diff. blocks across the drive - the 'physical' representation doesn't make no difference in handling

Karsten Schlüter wrote:

aapl.crox wrote:

…  but I want to treat the both of them as one clip in the event browser. …

… for what purpose?

• both are in the same Event

• both are from same cam

• both have the same time-stamp

… if your looking/searching fo this 'video', FCPX will find both. You can apply tags & keywords to both… 

So, why 'merging' them? They ARE merged… how they are stored on some drive, doesn't matter, in 2 pieces, or 54.222 diff. blocks across the drive - the 'physical' representation doesn't make no difference in handling

No they are not merged. Because they are still two separate clips. For example I can't mark a favourite that spans from the end of the first clip to the second.

aapl.crox wrote:

…  For example I can't mark a favourite that spans from the end of the first clip to the second.

... ehm? you can select two clips and hit F = both marked.

or, if you want to mark just parts of both clips, in-to-end clip#1, begin-to-out on clip#2 ...

ok, this is two clicks, instead of one ... big thing

I would avoid compounds as much as possible.

And esp.just for organizing, the 'data base tool' FCPX offers with its tags, keywords, favorites, meta-info, search filters, smart collections etc etc etc MUCH more 'powerful' tools than just bins of single solid clips.

…Not meant as a personal offence, but I really recommend to get familiar with the NEW way, how FCPX handles 'sources'… just for organizing, compounds is really the wrong turn.... my 5¢.-

Karsten Schlüter wrote:

aapl.crox wrote:

…  For example I can't mark a favourite that spans from the end of the first clip to the second.

... ehm? you can select two clips and hit F = both marked.

or, if you want to mark just parts of both clips, in-to-end clip#1, begin-to-out on clip#2 ...

ok, this is two clicks, instead of one ... big thing

I would avoid compounds as much as possible.

And esp.just for organizing, the 'data base tool' FCPX offers with its tags, keywords, favorites, meta-info, search filters, smart collections etc etc etc MUCH more 'powerful' tools than just bins of single solid clips.

…Not meant as a personal offence, but I really recommend to get familiar with the NEW way, how FCPX handles 'sources'… just for organizing, compounds is really the wrong turn.... my 5¢.-

No I can't mark from one clip into another because they have different time stamps. I guess the camera marks the clips based on the start time. And there are clips in between these two clips.

Why is there no way to join clips?

aapl.crox wrote:

…  No I can't mark from one clip into another because they have different time stamps. I guess the camera marks the clips based on the start time. And there are clips in between these two clips.…

… but then those 'inbetween clips' are from a different camera! change the view in the Events-browser/sorted by cam - and the two-parted clip appear back-to-front.

Why is there no way to join clips?

… there's no need doing so (??)