Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10: Share does not work

Every time I click Share it shows in Theater, but says "Creating Movie...", has no progress, and does nothing. If I share to file and uncheck add to Theater it doesn't appear to do anything at all.

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 10:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 1:50 PM

I was having the same issue. Quitting iMovie and opening it again seemed to resolve the issue for me.

Note that, if you have a "Creating Movie" entry with no progress in iMovie Theater, as I did, iMovie may warn you that background processes will shut down if you quit. That's fine; say "OK" and allow it to do its thing. When I re-opened the app, the progress bar automatically started filling up properly and the movie was eventually created.

I hope this helps!

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2013 1:50 PM in response to Jeremy8

I was having the same issue. Quitting iMovie and opening it again seemed to resolve the issue for me.

Note that, if you have a "Creating Movie" entry with no progress in iMovie Theater, as I did, iMovie may warn you that background processes will shut down if you quit. That's fine; say "OK" and allow it to do its thing. When I re-opened the app, the progress bar automatically started filling up properly and the movie was eventually created.

I hope this helps!

Dec 9, 2013 2:46 PM in response to jtreib

This for the tip, this worked for me! Again, I did the following:

1. Quit iMovie while it was stuck on "Creating Movie,"

2. Confirmed that this would cancel background tasks or operations still in progress

3. Opened iMovie again, and then after 5 seconds or so, the progress bar started moving again.

Hope Apple fixes this, but this is the only way for me now.

Dec 9, 2013 3:17 PM in response to ndkgamer

- It has been established that the Share menu is broken if you have Mackeeper installed.

- If you start sharing soon after editing in the timeline there are many background processes still in progress. It looks as if nothing is happening (i.e the little blue progress pie chart doesn't advance perceptibly and there is a temptation to abort (this is what I did the first time, thinking that the process had stalled). These background processes can easily take 30 minutes to hours to complete depending on the size of the movie and whether you have asked for anti-shake stabilisation of your clips. Only when they are complete does the rendering start and the progress pie chart really start to advance. So the name of the game is patience!

Although you can continue working in iMovie while sharing, be aware that while you are working in the timeline the background tasks are inhibited (they are set to low priority) so the job finish time will be delayed further.

Its a pity that Apple doesn't warn about this.

Dec 31, 2013 1:21 PM in response to Jeremy Rata

Jeremy, I am not sure how i got the fix that was automatically uploaded to my MAC. When I first started working with IMOVIE after uploading Mavericks, and saw that parts of it did not function at all, I started looking around the Apple website to see if anyone else was having the same problem. In the beginning, not very many, and those who were, didn't have any solution, or none that didn't require uninstalling and then starting over which would have eliminated all the new ones i had been working on. i kept emailing apple, on whatever site i could, with the problem i was having. i started on apple.com, and instead of talking to a technician, i would write what my problem was, and one of these times it was in the Apple discussion area. The only thing that I can think of is that there IS a fix, clearly so, because it worked for me, and someone in the APPLE technical side, got a hole of my email, and probably my apple ID as well, etc., and sent a fix. I have had this same thing happen when i would notice a fix would be uploaded, because i would receive a notice. not an upgrade, or a software upgrade, but a fix. i know there is a difference. Once i saw a "fix" had been installed, I clicked on IMOVIE and all my buttons worked. haven't had any issues since. Sorry I can't be more help and direct you to the exact area where I received the fix from, but maybe it was one of those things where....something goes wrong, and you have an opportunity to report, and you hit report, and then think it goes nowhere, when it actually does. I did NOT delete Mackeeper. I was getting ready to when this FIX appeared. I still run Mackeeper. I read in all these threads that uninstalling and re-installing worked for others. i didn't want to have to do that and loose the 3 long movies i had been editing. i also learned a few short cuts that helped me, because and how your delete cuts/sections is a bit different. Wish they had kept this simple. Sorry I can't be of more help to you. Good luck! If you need to know how to do that, I can send the instructions. SM

Dec 31, 2013 1:25 PM in response to swannies2005

I had the same issue. Apple sent me an automatic FIX, not an upgrade/update, but a FIX, and it started working again. i have no clue how they did this, but i do know that i emailed everyone at apple with this problem, and maybe through my apple id they were able to go back and send a fix. it works now and i did not have to un-install and then re-install, or uninstall MACKEEPER, which i still have and it still runs, and my IMOVIE is working like it should now. apple should send a fix to everyone on this thread who experiences this same problem. they can fix it. i could not get my share button to function either, etc. now i have everything working. but it was a huge frustration for quite a bit after installing MAVERICK.

sm

Dec 31, 2013 1:28 PM in response to GeeD

Apple actually sent me a fix. everything is working now. i still have MACKEEPER and that works too. i have no clue how apple knew to send me a fix, except i emailed every one at apple i could think of about this problem as soon as i uploaded MAVERICK. this was not an upgrade to IMOVIE, but a FIX. that is what came across the screen at the top right hand of my computer, showing a fix had been downloaded. weird, i know. i am not asking questions. it is working now.

sm

May 4, 2015 4:06 PM in response to Jeremy8

Well I have had the same issue. Got lucky and found a fix. I transferred the project to a new iMovie library and then tried to export it in the new library and that worked. Looks like the project files get lost in between the library files. If you transfer the projects around it somehow reconnects the files so it will export.

iMovie 10: Share does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.