Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How come when I sync new music to my ipod I lose everything else on there

How come when I sync new music to my ipod I lose everything else on there.

I got a cd and opened it with itunes and it gave me an option to add the music from the cd to my library. After doing that I plugged in ipod and looked online how to add music to the ipod because I forgot how to. I clicked my device, then the music tab and there is an option to sync music. so I click that and a box comes up saying to sync the new music but everything else on ipod will be removed. I have all the old music that was erasedfrom ipod on my computer in a music folder. I cant see any of the old music in itunes just the new music that i got from the cd. I might not be making much sense but this is the second time i'm using this ipod-- I don't even know why I asked for it couple years ago for christmas. please help me idk why I am having so much trouble. don't laugh at me =\

I need help with the following things:

easily getting songs from my itunes library onto my ipod.

getting music from my music library to be reconginized with itunes so i can move it to my ipod.

how to add/sync new music from itunes onto ipod without losing what is currently on the ipod.

iPod shuffle, Windows 7

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 10:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 12:43 PM

There are two primary ways to load songs on an iPod. Automatic syncing and manual.

On the iPod's Music screen ("tab") in iTunes, if Sync Music was NOT checked already, your iPod is set up for the manual loading method, and you can continue to use it that way. In the iTunes sidebar, select Music under LIBRARY. Drag those new songs from CD from the Music library to your iPod (in the sidebar under DEVICES). That manually adds your new music to the music that is already on the iPod (assuming it is not full).

NOTE: If the iTunes sidebar (along left side of window) is hidden, from the menu bar, under View, select Show Sidebar.

If you want to set up automatic syncing, that means iTunes keeps your iTunes music library in sync with your iPod's library (based on how you set up the iPod's Music screen). That is why, when you try to check that box for Sync Music, iTunes warns you that whatever is on the iPod now will be replaced by what is currently in your iTunes library. If the only songs in your iTunes library now are those songs from CD, that's all that will be on the iPod after syncing.

If you have the files for the songs that are on the iPod in a separate folder, you can add them to your iTunes library. With your iTunes music library showing in iTunes, just drag the songs (or that folder with the songs) from a Windows Explorer window to the iTunes window. Or you can use the command,

iTunes menu bar -> File -> Add to Library...

After all of the songs that are currently on the iPod (plus the new songs from that CD) are in your iTunes library, you can set up automatic syncing on the iPod's Music screen in iTunes. If you need tips for setting up automatic syncing, you can post back.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2013 12:43 PM in response to acerman23

There are two primary ways to load songs on an iPod. Automatic syncing and manual.

On the iPod's Music screen ("tab") in iTunes, if Sync Music was NOT checked already, your iPod is set up for the manual loading method, and you can continue to use it that way. In the iTunes sidebar, select Music under LIBRARY. Drag those new songs from CD from the Music library to your iPod (in the sidebar under DEVICES). That manually adds your new music to the music that is already on the iPod (assuming it is not full).

NOTE: If the iTunes sidebar (along left side of window) is hidden, from the menu bar, under View, select Show Sidebar.

If you want to set up automatic syncing, that means iTunes keeps your iTunes music library in sync with your iPod's library (based on how you set up the iPod's Music screen). That is why, when you try to check that box for Sync Music, iTunes warns you that whatever is on the iPod now will be replaced by what is currently in your iTunes library. If the only songs in your iTunes library now are those songs from CD, that's all that will be on the iPod after syncing.

If you have the files for the songs that are on the iPod in a separate folder, you can add them to your iTunes library. With your iTunes music library showing in iTunes, just drag the songs (or that folder with the songs) from a Windows Explorer window to the iTunes window. Or you can use the command,

iTunes menu bar -> File -> Add to Library...

After all of the songs that are currently on the iPod (plus the new songs from that CD) are in your iTunes library, you can set up automatic syncing on the iPod's Music screen in iTunes. If you need tips for setting up automatic syncing, you can post back.

How come when I sync new music to my ipod I lose everything else on there

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.