Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I bought an iPhone 5 off craigslist with restrictions.

The iPhone I bought has iOS 6.1.4 but it has a restrictions passcode lock on it. Since the iPhone is locked I can't erase All Content and Settings. The bad part is there is an Apple ID on it that can't be signed out of because of the restrictions. I'm scared if I put the iPhone 5 into DFU mode to restore the phone iTunes would put iOS 7 on it and lock the iPhone up using the previous owner's Apple ID.

Does anyone know if this would be the case if I used DFU mode to restore the iPhone 5? Would it brick the iPhone with the previous owner's Apple ID or wipe the iPhone clean since it's on iOS 6?

It sure looks like the days of buying iPhones off craigslist are coming to an end...

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 10:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 2:35 PM

If you do restore the phone with iOS 7 and you do not have the Apple ID and password that was used on iCloud and Find my iPhone was activated, you will not be able to activate the phone after the restore. As I see it you have 2 options:

Try to contact the seller and try to get the passcode locks and Apple ID passwords.

Return the phone to the seller for a refund.

And yes, IMO, buying used phones of of the internet is not a good idea.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2013 2:35 PM in response to bigboytime

If you do restore the phone with iOS 7 and you do not have the Apple ID and password that was used on iCloud and Find my iPhone was activated, you will not be able to activate the phone after the restore. As I see it you have 2 options:

Try to contact the seller and try to get the passcode locks and Apple ID passwords.

Return the phone to the seller for a refund.

And yes, IMO, buying used phones of of the internet is not a good idea.

Oct 28, 2013 9:53 AM in response to bigboytime

Well, I took the risk last night and restored the iPhone using DFU. The good news is that it worked! The person I bought the iPhone from had their iCloud setup in the iPhone and restoring it from iOS 6 to iOS 7 didn't enable the activation lock.

Thank goodness...

All I suggest is to be careful when buying iPhones off craigslist since activation lock now exists. I think if the iPhone had been on iOS 7 when i bought it, I would've been in some trouble. I would've had to hunt down the seller just to get their iCloud password.

Apr 24, 2014 2:11 PM in response to drichardson90

If it's asking for an Apple ID and password, as was said, there is no way to remove the Activation Lock without the assistance of the original owner. If that is indeed the case, then you have wasted your money and learned a valuable, albeit expensive, lesson about the risks of purchasing an costly item from someone you don't know when you have no buyer protection or other recourse.

Regards.

Message was edited by: varjak paw

I bought an iPhone 5 off craigslist with restrictions.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.