Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mavericks does not remember last folder used

Mavericks doesn't remember the last folder used in an application. This appears to happen across multiple applications.

Thus, if I opened a document in a particular folder in an app, quit the app, re-open it later and try to reopen the document, it doesn't remember the last folder used.

Is this something others are seeing? Is there a workaround?

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 10:32 AM

21 replies

Dec 4, 2013 1:10 PM in response to TomW123

I am having the exact same problem.

I work with Adobe CS all day and need to open files in the same folders time after time.

I open one illustrator file, then want to open another in the same folder and it always defaults back to the documents folder.

It is very frustrating and probably takes up about an hour of my time each day!

I haven't been able to find a preference for this, does anyone have any ideas?

Mar 11, 2014 2:58 PM in response to TomW123

I have this exact same problem with no resolution. As an example, when I save multiple attachments from an e-mail, I get prompted for each file where to save them, and even when I change the location for the first file, each subsequent prompts sends me right back to the Documents folder, so I have to find my desired location again and again and again for each attachment. Very frustrating and inconvenient! It doesn't work this way in Snow Leopard.

Apr 3, 2014 5:38 PM in response to TomW123

I am having this same problem. It is immensely frustrating because it breaks the flow of my thinking process and slows me down. Like others, I open files multiple times in any given work day and it is just intuitive that one would more than likely open a file from the same directory as the previous location - or as another already opened file.

Jul 6, 2015 2:28 PM in response to TomW123

If anyone reading this knows of a similar app/extension that can remember the last folder used while still in the app or environment, feel free to pass the info along. There used to be a 3rd party extension back in the late 90's/2000's that was perfect, but it's long out of my memory and I got tired of keeping up with OS/software incompatibilities, required/paid updates, or HD failures.

Ironic that as technology and the CPU speed sales hype increased, someone forgot that simplicity and intuitiveness is what makes a great, highly-efficient machine and experience.

mavericks does not remember last folder used

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.