Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mp3 filenames change when using Search in Finder (OS Mavericks)

Hello. I hold my library of mp3 music files in a folder named 'Library'.

When I open my Library folder in Finder (List), all files are shown with the filename reading Artist - Title

When I use the Search function in Finder to find all mp3s by a specific artist, I see that some search results only show the Title, not the Artist. Others will show Artist - Title which is what I want.

When I revert to the original Library, the files are listed as before, i.e. Artist - Title

The mp3s all have filenames which consist of Artist - Title.mp3. They are tagged with Artist Name, Title and occasionally Album Artwork. No other tags are used.

Here are two screenshots which may assist. If you can supply me with an explanation, I'd be most grateful.

Regards

Steve

My 'Libary' folder opened in Finder (List)

User uploaded file

and the same folder searched by 'Lefty F'

User uploaded file

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 10:24 AM

19 replies

Nov 27, 2013 7:04 AM in response to DJBas

Yup. The question is - where do we get an answer? I thought this was the best place to get support. You and I an't be the only ones with the same issue.

Just to add to my original mail above, I get the same problem when I just click on a tune to play it - the minute the filename is clicked, the Artist part of the filename disappears, only to reappear when the same file is viewed in the full library list. Bizarre! (and mighty annoying)

Regards

Steve

Dec 29, 2013 11:59 PM in response to jyfromfra

Jyfromfra, removing MP3 tags from your entire library so they don't show up in a spotlight search is absolutely NOT the answer.

If that's is all that is bugging you, add your MP3/Music folder to the privacy tab of Spotlight, in system preferences. Then they won't be searchable at all.... but to delete the tags because Apple thinks they're being hip and trendy is ludicrous.

This needs to be addressed by Apple!

Feb 7, 2014 9:42 AM in response to dk-123

I still can't find an answer to this.

When my full mp3 library (un-searched) is displayed, the headings are:

Name (that's the filename: xxx-yyy.mp3)

Title (that's the Title tag)

Authors (that's the Artist tag)

When a search is applied, the headings become:

Music (that's the Title tag) + some date/size/kind info. The Filename and Authors columns disappear.

So, all I need to solve the problem, is for Finder to show the 'Authors' tag in a separate column.

But 'Show View Options' does not include either of those missing headings as an option. What a bummer. In Windows, there are so many options to choose from, it would take you all day to fill them all in. And all I want is one simple (and important) additional column.

Can the Show View Options list be customised maybe?

Come on Apple, you can do better than this.

Feb 7, 2014 12:18 PM in response to stevewalker406

Many windows mp3 players in the old days stored the data in the filename, instead inside the .mp3 as ID3.

Apple preferred the logical way using ID3, thats ar tags stored inside the songs, so the finder filename can be "track 1" and your computer can understand who the author is, or the song name.

You can edit all the info stored inside the .mp3 with get info in iTunes. You can edit song by song, or select a batch and set the same property for all them.

Automated utilities doing this can result in: author->track 1

If you buy the songs in iTunes store, the info must came properly set. Even is you rip your comercial CDs to mp3, iTunes search in databases to name it properly based on the length of the tracks.

The Finder filenames has nothing to do with that. Spotlight can search by filenames or the inside tags.

Jun 24, 2016 10:23 AM in response to stevewalker406

This has been bugging me ever since my move from Snow Leopard to Yosemite. I discovered that in Yosemite, Finder and Spotlight only look at the title in the id3 tag when they decide how to display search results for Mp3's. If there is no title in the Mp3 tag then the file name will display normally. You can have all other id3 tag values filled in but if you remove the title, Spotlight and Finder will display the full filename. Once you add the Title back into the id3 tag then Finder and Spotlight display only the title in search results. I've been searching for a way to modify both the Spotlight and Finder executables to disable this behaviour but I haven't found anything in the code yet. Stay tuned...

Oct 10, 2016 6:11 PM in response to stevewalker406

I found a workaround. This may or not be applicable depending on if these ID3 tag fields are already in use in your collection. Remove the title from all of your ID3 tags and move the title information to the label field of your ID3 tags. If finder sees a Title in your ID3 tags it will behave as the original poster stated and will not display the full name of your mp3 files in finder search results. Once you remove the title from an ID3 tag then finder will display mp3 search results as desired with full file name and also Enter/Return key edit functionality restored. By the way if you're a DJ most DJ software will allow you to display the Label as a column in your browser/library. Unfortunately iTunes does not show the label field for whatever genius reason so you may have to find another field to move your titles to if iTunes is your music player of choice and you want to sort your collection by song title.

P.S. I highly recommend a program called Yate to do your ID3 tag editing and updating. It is hands down the most bad a** tag editor I've used and I have tried many. It costs but it's worth it. I hope this helps:-)

mp3 filenames change when using Search in Finder (OS Mavericks)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.