Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Eject Firewire Hard Drive, Won't Stop Running

I upgraded my Early 2009 Mac Pro OS to 10.9 today, but I found a problem about my external firewire hard drive.

If I eject firewire hard drive under 10.8, the hard drive will stop running/rotating. Then I unplug the firewire cable. After I upgrade to 10.9 OS, the firewire hard drive will not stop running/rotating after I eject it. I cannot see any external hard drive icon on desktop, but I can hear the hard drive running sound.

I'm not sure if it's safe to unplug cable under running condition after succeful eject. How's many people have the same problem with me?

Thank you!

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 10:51 AM

4 replies

Oct 27, 2013 12:42 PM in response to Linxi Jiang

I have a dozen OWC cases and they have all continued to work (but can't say about 10.9) and they are getting "dated."

Apple though often changes drivers, IOKIt and how external drives are treated, 10.5.0 thru 10.5.2 the rules changed and changed back and forth. Some drives had to be off during startup. Users have had trouble with 10.6 as well with their drives, often USB and/or FW from major vendors (WD etc) not working.

Do either of you get the "drive was not ejected properly" message on the next time you do connect and power it back on or after a restart?

One of the reasons I prefer waiting for the .2 or later releases.

Eject Firewire Hard Drive, Won't Stop Running

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.