Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP - Mini sees modem, but wont get online..

I have a mac-mini 1066 thats running 10.6.8. I had a slow internet connection so I changed from dsl - wireless to cable - wireless. Now the mini cannot get on the internet!

All my other devices (MBA-10.9, iphone, ipad) all connet and are great. The mini seems to find the wireless router adn modem, but does not get online in any program - safari, itunes, mail. The connect has several bars and the wizard in network diagnostics in system preferences all show green.

When I try to connect directly to the router IP in the address bar, it also just times out. There are no error messages or other notes...

Can anyone help with this? or point me in the right direction...

Thanks

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 11:22 AM

6 replies

Oct 27, 2013 1:37 PM in response to rowanrod

Hello,

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

10.5, 10.6, 10.7 & 10.8…

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

10.5.x/10.6.x/10.7.x/10.8.x instructions...

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

If using Wifi/Airport...

Instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

For 10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8, System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

(There may be better or faster DNS numbers in your area, but these should be a good test).

Click OK.

Oct 28, 2013 12:02 PM in response to rowanrod

In a browser's URL bar, put this & hit enter, does that get you to Apple?

Open Network Utility in Applications>Utilities>Info tab, select Airport/Wifi & what is the Link Speed & are there any Errors/Collisions on the right?

Then try the Ping tab, then the traceroute tab with...

google.com

Does Ping work? Where does Traceroute stop IP wise?

HELP - Mini sees modem, but wont get online..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.