Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't the newest Airport utility program find my Aiport Express 1st generation? Anybody have an idea?

Why can't the newest Airport utility program find my Aiport Express 1st generation? Anybody have an idea?

AirPort Express 802.11n (1st Gen), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 11:56 AM

Let's first make sure that you have a 1st Generation AirPort Express.

Please check the model number on the side of the AirPort Express. It starts with an "A" followed by four numbers.

A 1st Gen Express is Model No A1264

If you see A1084 or A1088, these models are much older versions of the AirPort Express, which are not supported by AirPort Utility in the Mavericks operating system. Apple did not start using the Generation naming until the Model A1264 in 2008.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2013 11:56 AM in response to Florisflow

Let's first make sure that you have a 1st Generation AirPort Express.

Please check the model number on the side of the AirPort Express. It starts with an "A" followed by four numbers.

A 1st Gen Express is Model No A1264

If you see A1084 or A1088, these models are much older versions of the AirPort Express, which are not supported by AirPort Utility in the Mavericks operating system. Apple did not start using the Generation naming until the Model A1264 in 2008.

Nov 12, 2013 10:55 AM in response to Florisflow

You can configure the older AirPort if you have another Mac there running the Leopard or Snow Leopard operating system or a PC. All of these devices will use an AirPort Utility 5.x version, which is what you need.

If you do not have any of these devices, then you might possibly be able to borrow one for 10-15 minutes to set the Express set up.

If that is not possible, then you will need to add a new AirPort Express.

Nov 15, 2013 2:04 PM in response to Florisflow

I was able to connect to my old Airport Express with Airport Utility 6.3.2 in Mavericks after performing a Hard Reset on my AE. After the reset, restart AU 6.3.2 and it will discover your old AE unit. You will then be able to reconfigure it. I now have my Airplay back again in iTunes!!! Finally.

I also then was able to update the Firmware on the AE...which I had never done before. It's running fine now.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.