Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Font changes when previewing iBook on iPad

Hi!

I have a problem with font when I preview my iBook on iPad. In iBook Author I use dark grey Skia font which is one of the fonts included in the app. I did not install it afterwards.

When I preview an ibook (or create an ibook) on a mac iBook app it is fine - it works normally, but if I tranfer the same ibook on an iPad all content changes to default black Helvetica font.

I noticed an error after OS upgrade. In Mountain Lion I did not notice that problem... Is that just temporary, repairable problem or more serious one?!?

I have an iMac with OSX Mavericks and iPad 3rd gen with iOS7.

iBooks Author-OTHER

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 12:06 PM

7 replies

Oct 27, 2013 12:37 PM in response to Mortillion

Mortillion wrote:

In iBook Author I use dark grey Skia font which is one of the fonts included in the app.

But there is no Skia in iOS, so the font must be embedded by iBA. It seems that this has been broken in version 2.1, so for it to display on an iPad you will have to use 2.0 if you still have it on a backup somewhere (or wait for Apple to fix it).

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5878

Oct 28, 2013 7:07 AM in response to MaciPad

iBooks Author 2.1 no longer has the ability to embed custom fonts. It is not a Mavericks issue, but an iBA 2.1 issue.

The reason your preview looks fine on your Mac is that your Mac has those fonts enabled. If you go into Font Book and disable the font then preview your file on your Mac the fonts will not work.

Apple is aware of the issue and I am hoping an update will be issued soon.

The real problem, though, is that if you saved your file in iBA 2.1 opening the file in 2.0 will not save the situation. You will have to rebuild your file. Hopefully you have a back-up file that was saved prior to the release of 2.1.

Font changes when previewing iBook on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.