Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purchase Aperture without 10.9

Is it the case, that I can now only purchase Aperture if I have already upgraded to OSX 10.9?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 32 GB RAM

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 12:31 PM

16 replies

Oct 27, 2013 1:27 PM in response to léonie

Not quite that page - the one I was looking at listed 10.8 as well - as per the snapshot.

I was viewing the App Store using a MacBook Air running 10.8.5 - it showed me Aperture - then when I tried to buy it, it said I couldn't because I wasn't running 10.9.

Which all leads back to my query - if I choose not to upgrade to 10.9 - how do I buy Aperture? Or can't I?

You stated - "You can buy Aperture with Lion or Moiuntain Lion ..."

I'd love to. How?

Oct 27, 2013 1:48 PM in response to Greg Mckay

it showed me Aperture - then when I tried to buy it, it said I couldn't because I wasn't running 10.9.

Sorry, then that is indeed no longer possible. I thought they kept the Aperture 3.4.5 version, since the Apple page (the page you are directed to from the AppSTore) listed it as a requirement. 😟 Then Apple has decided, since the upgrade to Mavericks is free from Lion, Mt. Lion, to discontinue the earlier versions.

Then you can only look for the boxed retail version of Aperture - Aperture 3.1 and upgrade it to 3.4.5.

Or upgrade to Mavericks, if you do not have too much software that is not compatible.

Oct 27, 2013 1:53 PM in response to léonie

Yep, seems so leonieDF, which is a pain I reckon.

I make it a habit not to upgrade until at least the " .2" version - ie never "buy" the first of anything (even if it is free).

Guess I'll just have to hold on for a while - upgrade to 10.9 - then get Aperture.

Thanks for your responses. At least I know it isn't just me goofing something up.

Cheers.

Oct 27, 2013 2:25 PM in response to Greg Mckay

Guess I'll just have to hold on for a while - upgrade to 10.9 - then get Aperture.

While you are waiting, you may want to get ready for Aperture by using iPhoto. You will be able to open your iPhoto library directly in Aperture; the events will appear as projects, the albums, smart albums, Places, and Faces, keywords and ratings will be transferred. I hope, you already have iPhoto.

Aperture 3.3: Using a unified photo library with iPhoto and Aperture

Oct 28, 2013 1:05 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Thanks to both for your suggestions.

I must say, I'm rather peeved at all of this. I have always, for many many years, doggedly supported Apple software, and recommened the "Apple"solution, to various friends new to Apple.

I already have AP 3.4.5 on my iMac running 10.8.5, and simply wanted to add it to my new MacBookAir, also running 10.8.5 - but as described above, I no longer can - I'm forced to upgrade my MBA to 10.9 so as to be able to buy a second copy of AP.

To heck with it.

Lightroom. Problem solved. It really shouldn't be that hard.

Maybe I'm a cynic (I really try not to be) - but are we entering another "Pepsi Cola" phase. I certainly hope not.

Oct 28, 2013 1:30 PM in response to Greg Mckay

Hey Greg, if you are really running a current platform with an iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 32 GB RAM - you might be penny wise, but pound foolish not to upgrade to OSX 10.9 Mavericks which would make your current processor and 32 gb ram operate much, much faster together. On the other hand, since Mavericks is 'free", you would only be pound foolish 🙂 And you can still use your old Aperture 3.4.5 version without upgrading to Aperture 3.5 - The problem will be that your Adobe Lightroom version will likely not yet be compatible with the latest OSX upgrade.

Oct 28, 2013 1:43 PM in response to torreypines

Thanks Torrey. Yes, I take all of your points, and trust me, not an easy decision.

It's not the dollars, it's the principal and methodology of the thing.

I do not wish to be bludgeoned by Apple in having to upgrade to 10.9 in order to buy Aperture - whether the upgrade is "free" or not. Some would say, it's not really free at all - it's kind of built in to the somewhat heavy price of Apple hardware - something which has never bothered me by the way - I always reckoned it was worth it.

How about - "Here's Aperture 3.5, you need that if you are running 10.9 - and if you are still on 10.8 or whatever, well, here's Aperture 3.4.5 - we just want you to use Aperture - we think you'll like it as much as we do - we are proud of it".

Nope - "We've released 10.9, and if you want Aperture, well, you MUST upgrade to 10.9"

You know, that's the sort of dunderheaded rubbish I've always associated "The Dark Side" with, never with Apple - until now.

As I say Torrey, it ain't the dollars, and while I like Aperture, it ain't that fabulous that I can't learn to like something else. You know that old saying - it's a heck of a lot easier to keep an existing customer, than find a new one.

I'm Apple through and through, takes a lot to make me shift. Removing my ability to make my own choices - that's what will do it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Oct 28, 2013 5:34 PM in response to Greg Mckay

I already have AP 3.4.5 on my iMac running 10.8.5, and simply wanted to add it to my new MacBookAir, also running 10.8.5 - but as described above, I no longer can - I'm forced to upgrade my MBA to 10.9 so as to be able to buy a second copy of AP.

Ok this is confusing. None of your earlier posts mentioned that you had Aperture installed already. How did you purchase Aperture running on your 10.8.5 system?

If you bought it on DVD then install it from that (it will be an earlier version) and then run software update.

If you bought it in the Mac App Store then log into the MAS from the Air, using the same Apple ID you used to buy it originally, and look in your Purchases tab. Aperture will be there, download an install it on the Air.

When you select purchase in the MAS on the 10.8.5 system you will get this window:

User uploaded file

You'll get 3.4.5 for the 10.8.5 system.

Purchase Aperture without 10.9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.