Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes won't sync any music that was not purchased from iTunes onto my iPhones 5S

I have updated to Mavericks on my macbook, and iTunes will no longer sync my iPhone 5S properly. It does not remove any music that has been deleted. My phone will no longer play any music that was not purchased from iTunes. I tried to delete all my music and download it again, but iTunes would not remove it from the phone. Is anyone having a similar problem? Any ideas to get things back to normal? I am restoring from back up as I type, but I doubt it will solve my problem.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 12:42 PM

20 replies

Oct 27, 2013 3:36 PM in response to seanspins211

I had the exact same problem since upgrading to Mavericks. When I tried to copy the music from iTunes, either wifi or wired, it appeared in 'On this phone' greyed out. Forcing a sync didn't help. I noticed too that iTunes showed odd values for the amount of space available on the phone - around 9GB compared to 27GB on the phone itself.

I solved the problem by turning off iTunes Match, turning it back on again, then reconnecting my iPhone.

Message was edited by: ajstevens

Dec 27, 2013 1:42 PM in response to freddie_freds3

While your phone is connected to your computer open you itunes library and click file>home sharing>turn on (it would not let me turn on home sharing from my phone itself)

Then on your phone go into settings>music>at the bottom "home sharing" sign in with your apple ID.

Check to see if the "shared" option showed up under "more" in your music on your phone...bit of a process but worked for me!

Jan 5, 2014 12:17 PM in response to iDance247

Yup, unfortuntely I'm having the same problem. I can only listen to all of my music when both my computer and iPhone are connected to wi-fi and the 'home sharing' is on. Otherwise I can only listen to my purchased music. It is terribly frustrating and I've spen hours upon hours trying to figure this crap out :-/

I'm just gonna make an appoitment at the Apple store this week and let the 'genuises' there figure it out for me.

Jan 7, 2014 4:48 AM in response to seanspins211

It's funny how the sync works with my old iPod touch that I haven't touch for about a year.

I have an iPod touch (the old version) But I sort of abandon it when I got my new iPhone.

I didn't update the software on my ipod for almost a year now and i guess that is the reason why the syncing is still working.

This problem is ridiculous. We don't even know if it is an accident or it's just apple's new technique of business involve trying to make syncing music difficult so people are forced to buy their music legally from itunes.

Jan 9, 2014 1:47 AM in response to seanspins211

RIGHT. HERE'S ONE SOLUTION THAT WORKED FOR ME.

I downloaded and installed a management software called "itools".

Just search 'itools download' on google, download then install it.

After you open both 'itunes' and 'itools', connect your device then start import the music you want in the music section.

I did the transfering from there and it worked for me. Quick and simple 😀

Hope this helps. 🙂

iTunes won't sync any music that was not purchased from iTunes onto my iPhones 5S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.