Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Merging 2 itunes libraries

is there a way to merge 2 itunes libraries?

on my old G5 stuck at 10.5.8 and itunes 10.6.3 (name it library A) I have over 8000 songs. And on newer Mac Pro tower, with OSX 10.6.8 and itunes 11.1.11 (name it library B) I have an itunes library that has approx 150 songs, but all of my kids ipods, and iphone have already been synched to this itunes library B, for compatibility and latest software.

if I try to sync music with Lib A, it ask me if I want to erase the ipod before proceeding, cuz the ipods have been previously synched with Lib B... so I do not want to erase, as there are games, photos, data, contacts etc.. that will all be erased as well.

Is there a way to merge Lib A to Lib B, using the .XML file in the itunes folder? How about the .itl file? and the com.apple.itunes.plist one??

and symply manually copying all of the 867 folders containing all the music into Music->itunes->itunesMusic??

Will the itunes 11.1.11 recognize a .xml file done with itunes 10.6.3??

Thank you for the help

Michel

2-G5 1.8ghz, 1.5GB ram, 2-23Cinema displ, Epson 900, Sony TRV-17, MacBook 2GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 4:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 5:00 PM

Is there a way to merge Lib A to Lib B, using the .XML file in the itunes folder?

No.

How about the .itl file?

No.

and the com.apple.itunes.plist one??

No.

and symply manually copying all of the 867 folders containing all the music into Music->itunes->itunesMusic??

Bingo!

Copy the files where you want them, and add them using File > Add Folder to Library.

If you end up with any duplicates, delete them.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2013 5:00 PM in response to Michel Vézina

Is there a way to merge Lib A to Lib B, using the .XML file in the itunes folder?

No.

How about the .itl file?

No.

and the com.apple.itunes.plist one??

No.

Bingo!

Copy the files where you want them, and add them using File > Add Folder to Library.

If you end up with any duplicates, delete them.

Merging 2 itunes libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.