Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

proxy problems in 10.9 - anyone else?

I just want to alert Apple to something that is probably not a common issue in the USA. I work behind firewalls and Mavericks seems to be a step backwards with the handling of this. Constant pop-ups asking for name and password. No change in using auto proxy, detect or manual proxy with saved password. Frequent stalling of Safari and Outlook. Apple Remote Desktop and Airport Utility very prone to suddenly quitting. Many websites such as forums and message boards cause Safari to quit too. At home, these problems are not common. Was really good in 10.6; not bad in 10.7/8; unstable in 10.9. Has something changed in the way the OS is handling this?

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 5:49 PM

4 replies

Oct 27, 2013 6:14 PM in response to pkmusic

I upgraded to Mavericks and now I can't install Dropbox because of some connection problem that seems to be related to proxy settings. I've never had to deal with those before and now it doesn't install regardless of what I put in the network preferences. Maybe related as well, my calendar app keeps popping up a message of unable to contact server...

Oct 30, 2013 2:45 AM in response to pkmusic

Yeah me too on this.

Further testing shows that it isn't Safari at fault, it is something in the way the system handles authentication.

If I use firefox with system settings it also fails, if I set firefox to autodetect, it works perfectly.

I don't think its kerberos related though, firefox didn't have to ask me for a password even when using autodetect, so it was picking up on the existing auth data.

Don't know where to go next though.

proxy problems in 10.9 - anyone else?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.