Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can you get the unknown previous owners on iPhone 5 Apple ID account be removed old device from Find iPhone ?

After recent update 7.0.3 iPhone 5 started activation after I put in sim and did not accept sim bc of Apple ID of previous owner was still on the iPhone and can't activate it without the previous owner removing the account from find my iPhone .

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.3, SN# F2MJQ9ULF8H2

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 6:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 7:00 PM

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4515 provides instructions. But the original owner is required.

22 replies

Nov 6, 2013 2:06 PM in response to IMerny

I can understand the need for this sort of security, but imagine being in a corporate environment, where the policy to to allow end-users to input their own apple ID. Employee is run over by a bus and is now dead. No one has their password (Dead employee has left their iphone in the office).

Now what?

Should we just throw this iphone out, or what?

Nov 6, 2013 6:35 PM in response to Clyde77

So, Clyde, you create apple ID's for all of your staff using iphones? We have 200 iphones on site and people are coming and going all the time. Doesn't seem like the right policy to me. Did you find this in a best practices document?

We did have one account we assigned to 10 of our VP's at one time, then everyone started getting everyone's imessages when they decided to use their apple ID for their messaging account.

I'm thinking there should at least be some admin process in place. Maybe go to the Apple Store..

Nov 6, 2013 7:34 PM in response to lisa0721

lisa0721 wrote:

Did you find this in a best practices document?

No, you first use common sense then you put it in a company IT policy document. So you are saying that you cannot create an Apple ID for each individual, because it is a hassle? So I guess it is also a hassle to create company email accounts because there are many people "coming and going"?

Have the IT department create an Apple ID for each user with a "temporary" password. Then the user can change it. Once the emplyee leaves, he turns in his phone and gives the password to IT so they can deactivate his Activation lock and reset the phone. Or do what razmee209 has suggested.

I guess the above might be a problem in your company where it is apparent that people are getting run over by buses all of the time and dying every hour.

Nov 6, 2013 7:35 PM in response to IMerny

FelipeV - It was a hypothetical situation to show that the decision to make removing the ID impossible without the user providing the password is a bit difficult. No need to be rude about it.

I quite like the suggestions here (http://www.enterpriseios.com/forum/topic/iOS_7_device_reuse_can_be_difficult#com ment-10777) about assigning the apple ID upfront according to the corporate email account.

I personally don't agree with requiring passwords for person apple ID's. JMO.

Apr 5, 2014 8:30 AM in response to KiltedTim

At first, I thought you were writing for The Onion! 🙂

A employee is dead and you're worried about the *cost* of recruiting and training a replacement?!

Wow!

How about concern about the employee-- and the spouse, the children, family members, the friends, and the co-workers (other than you!) who cared about and loved the individual? That's the real loss in this imaginary scenario.

How can you get the unknown previous owners on iPhone 5 Apple ID account be removed old device from Find iPhone ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.