Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Bug: Tabs remain after quitting.

Safari version 7.0

In System Preferences, General, I have "Close windows when quitting an application" selected. When quiting Safari, tabs and windows are incorrectly restored from the previous session. If Safari is closed by clicking the red X in the upper left hand corner, the tabs and windows are correctly not-restored from the previous session, that is, Safari opens fresh without the previous sessions tabs and windows.

I beleive this occured in Mountain Lion as well if I recall correctly. If "Close windows when quitting an application" is selected, isn't this behavior incorrect?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 7:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 8:07 PM

If you have, "Close windows when quitting an application" selected then Safari should not restore open widows and tabs ...

Open the Finder. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following:

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2013 8:07 PM in response to TyJo uhhh

If you have, "Close windows when quitting an application" selected then Safari should not restore open widows and tabs ...

Open the Finder. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following:

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

Oct 28, 2013 1:36 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks, Carolyn and others could you see if you can replicate this (I feel it might be common, or extremely common)? Carolyn, I would like to know what your recomendations will do exactly, in simple terms if possible, as I don't want to mess up any preferences or settings on my MacBook Pro. I consider myself pretty fluent with OS X, but I tend to avoid terminal and messing with settings outside of what I call "standard user GUI". I just don't want to mess anything up or cause problems.

Thank you very much for your response and guidance.

Safari Bug: Tabs remain after quitting.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.