Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is the "Always open folder in new Finder Window/Tab" option ?

Prior to 10.9, we have an options to choose whether to open folders in the same window in Finder preference. But I can't find anything similiar to that in Mavericks. Now I'm forced to open folders within the same window / tab, unless I press the CMD key while double clicking on the folder, and I still yet to find a way to do so with keyboard navigation.

Did I missed something ?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 7:41 PM

4 replies

Oct 27, 2013 7:57 PM in response to Barney-15E

Yes I know that, but that option is completely useless, since you're forced to open a folder within the same tab.

Even with that option turned on, you still can "open folder in new tab" only by holding CMD key while double-clicking on a folder. And there is still no way to open a folder in new tab with keyboard navigation: CMD+O or CMD+Down-Arrow will always open folder within same tab.

So I consider this as a bug; maybe someone just forget to enable this option in the Finder preference dialogbox.

Is there any terminal command (defaultswrite ?) or 3rd party tool like TinkerTool, OnyX or Deeper that can change the default behavior of Finder ?

Where is the "Always open folder in new Finder Window/Tab" option ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.