Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

To settle an argument I've been having...Official/Unofficial RAM Limits

Okay, so let's take the eMac I've been having trouble with, it's limit (Set by Apple) is 1GB and yet I've heard from other sources that the unofficial limit is 2GB, I think installing the extra gig would cause no problems, but the other person seems to think it would end up deteriorating the machine's performance and eventually killing it.

Who is correct, me or the other person?

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 8:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 9:12 PM

Hello,

Apples official limits are set by what size DIMMs are available at time of manufacture & never updated again, if your eMac does indded support 2 GB as mine does, then you''l see no degradtion, but vastly increased response & usefulness! 🙂

So we know more about it...

At the Apple Icon at top left>About this Mac, report the version of OSX from that window, then click on More Info, then click on Hardware> and report this upto but not including the Serial#...

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: eMac

Model Identifier: PowerMac6,4

Processor Name: PowerPC G4 (1.2)

Processor Speed: 1.42 GHz

Number Of CPUs: 1

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 167 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 4.9.2f1

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2013 9:12 PM in response to lbonini1

Hello,

Apples official limits are set by what size DIMMs are available at time of manufacture & never updated again, if your eMac does indded support 2 GB as mine does, then you''l see no degradtion, but vastly increased response & usefulness! 🙂

So we know more about it...

At the Apple Icon at top left>About this Mac, report the version of OSX from that window, then click on More Info, then click on Hardware> and report this upto but not including the Serial#...

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: eMac

Model Identifier: PowerMac6,4

Processor Name: PowerPC G4 (1.2)

Processor Speed: 1.42 GHz

Number Of CPUs: 1

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 167 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 4.9.2f1

Oct 27, 2013 10:02 PM in response to lbonini1

Like BD, I have a later eMac 1.42gHz that is happily running with 2GB RAM. However not just any old 1GB modules will do. They must be tested in Macs.

This is the link and the vendor I used in going to 2GB. Known good stuff:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/2700DDR1024/

It is important to remember that there are two familes of eMacs--those with USB 1.1 ports and those with USB2.0. The USB1.1 eMacs have the model Identifier "PowerMac4,4" in System Profiler. A 4,4 eMac CANNOT use more than 1GB RAM (two 512MB modules). The USB 2.0 eMacs are coded "PowerMac6,4" ar BD posted adn will run perfectly with proper 1GB modules.

Oct 28, 2013 5:47 PM in response to BDAqua

I really appreciate all the help this forum/discussion board has been giving me, I am going to go full-steam ahead with this eMac to get it up and running as a secondary computer (It's to replace a very slow PC) and even though this one may be slow as well, I'm pretty sure it won't crash every 15 minutes.

Tomorrow, I'm going to be checking out the innards of the computer, is there anything odd I should look for in the PSU, or anywhere else that might indicate damage?

(I already know the capacitors telltale signs, swollen, leaking, etc)

To settle an argument I've been having...Official/Unofficial RAM Limits

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.